• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing Name on the Deed to condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peppylady

What is the name of your state? Fl

I own a condo with a mortgage.My son lives in it and pays the mortgage every month, the mortgage is in my name. He's been paying for the mortgage for 2 years now. Is there a way that I change the name on the deed and keep the mortgage in my name? His credit is not that good. Can we just do an assumable mortgage with a title company, There is very little equity in the condo due to the prices going down on homes in florida. If I change the name on the deed will I be forced by the mortgage company to the pay the mortgage off? I really doubt he can get a mortgage at this time, Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

LindaP777

If I change the name on the deed will I be forced by the mortgage company to the pay the mortgage off?
Yes, it could. Your mortgage has a "due on sale" clause. If you sell it, or change owners, the bank will want their money.
Some lenders (i.e. National City) allow you to transfer deed and mortgage to a child (but I would assume the child would have to go through a credit check). Start by calling your bank and asking them.

FlyingRon

Garn-St. Germain prohibits due on sale clauses from being enforced when property is transferred to spouse or children of the borrower.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">