• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing to Mitigation hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hello all. I got a speeding ticket about 7 months ago for 46 in a 35. My friend is a lawyer and was going to help me fight it, but now he is not answering his phone. I have a Contested hearing court date next Wednesday December 10. I got discovery of the documents and I have no idea what to do in court.

Basically, I do not think I have any chance of beating the ticket and I feel really weird about going to court with no case. Also, I feel a bit guilty to be honest. I would like to essentially beg the court for mercy and suggest going to traffic school instead of having the ticket raise my insurance. I would do a deferral except I got one about 2 years ago.

What should I do? If I want to request traffic school do i do it at the contested hearing? Can I change to a mitigation? Should I? Thanks.


The Occultist

Senior Member
You can try explaining to the court that your legal representation has fallen through and that you would like an extension, or to otherwise simply request a pretrial conference with the hopes of getting some sort of plea bargain.

I always advise going in with an attorney (even if it's not your friend!). A local attorney knows exactly what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable odds. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so take advantage of that and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.


Senior Member
Washington does not offer traffic school as an option. I use to make extra money teaching it till the state did away with it about 10 years ago. Your only hope now is to show up and see if you can plead down the ticket, hopefully to a non moving violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential