• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chap 7 Affects Tax Refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SallyX

What is the name of your state? FL
My Chap 7 filing is still playing out. The Trustee and I have agreed to a payoff amount on my vehicle, which is owned free and clear. I have made two payments, with three more due over the next three months. In the meantime, while all else with my filing is settled, final discharge won't be granted until I pay off the car as agreed.
In the meantime, my spouse filed his return as Head of Household, Filing Jointly. All the income on the return is from his employment. I reported nothing. A refund will be forthcoming. Is this refund at risk of being withheld by the IRS, or the Trustee?
Thank you.

E

eloqid

I've have heard both, they usually just take the refund for the year that you filed. I filled in 2003, he asked for 2002 refund 1472.00 and 2003 refund 1500.00. In my case I called the Trustee, he said he flaged my refund and offed the below "advice"

And for anybody who list past taxes as past debt, while not dischargeable, if you have money paid to the estate force your attorney to file a claim on behalf of the IRS. The IRS will not file one. I called the IRS, they said if you have money in the estate they will give it to us, this is not the case, and you will have to pay twice. Petition to use the estate money to pay off non dischargeable debt it will only help you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">