• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged for buying or receiving stolen goods for stolen license plates on a car I did not own

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LarzWalker

What is the name of your state?Virginia

I was driving a car that was not registered in my name. Officer stopped me because he said the bumper was dirty but the plates looked brand new. Plates came back stolen but I had no way of knowing that. Charged me anyway. This active charge came up on a background check for a new job and may cost me the opportunity. I am 48 and have NEVER been convicted of a crime. I wouldn't start by putting stolen license plates on someone elses car...then driving it.

quincy

I was driving a car that was not registered in my name. Officer stopped me because he said the bumper was dirty but the plates looked brand new. Plates came back stolen but I had no way of knowing that. Charged me anyway. This active charge came up on a background check for a new job and may cost me the opportunity. I am 48 and have NEVER been convicted of a crime. I wouldn't start by putting stolen license plates on someone elses car...then driving it.
So ... how do you explain driving someone else's car with stolen plates?

Just Blue

Sooo...What did the person you borrowed the car from say when you asked him/her about it?

LarzWalker

So ... how do you explain driving someone else's car with stolen plates?
I was moving her car from one location to another. I verified the stickers on the plates were current and that there was insurance and registration in the glove compartment. There is no way to look up plate numbers available to those outside law enforcement so I feel like I did more than most people would do. How many times have you seen someone drive someone elses car without even checking the dates on the plates? Just don't see how I was supposed to know they were stolen.

Just Blue

I was moving her car from one location to another. I verified the stickers on the plates were current and that there was insurance and registration in the glove compartment. There is no way to look up plate numbers available to those outside law enforcement so I feel like I did more than most people would do. How many times have you seen someone drive someone elses car without even checking the dates on the plates? Just don't see how I was supposed to know they were stolen.
What did the woman say when you confronted her? Is she your GF by the way?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Larz - stop talking about your crime on the internet...it won't help. Speak only to your attorney about this.

(Somebody post the video - I never keep the link)

LarzWalker

Larz - stop talking about your crime on the internet...it won't help. Speak only to your attorney about this.

(Somebody post the video - I never keep the link)
Yeah. I'm seeing that now. Was looking for some basic thoughts from attorneys before I see mine Thursday. But this isn't very helpful.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah. I'm seeing that now. Was looking for some basic thoughts from attorneys before I see mine Thursday. But this isn't very helpful.
First: We are not attorneys (read the "IMPORTANT NOTICE" at the bottom of every page).
Second: Unless you've RETAINED the attorney (or otherwise established an attorney/client relationship), they shouldn't talk to you about this.

PayrollHRGuy

I think you did more than most would as well. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you. You didn't do the one thing that would have. Match the plate number on the car to the plate number on the registration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">