• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

charged with theft of services in IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irish77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL for charge, PA for residence.

I was in chicago one weekend visiting a friend. We were out at night and we all split up. I lost the group. I decided to get a cab back to my friends apartment. I realized half-way there that I had lost my ATM card and had no cash on me. I suggested to the cab driver that he take me to the apt and I would pay with a credit card. He wasn't having that and called the cops. I was picked up, processed, and released in the span of 2 hours. Charged with theft of services (720 5/16-3).

I know most lawyers will say you need a lawyer, but I have also been in touch with people that say that I can go to court, state what happened, defend myself and let the judge make the determination. It's considered a class A misdemeanor. Apparently things will be pretty cut and dry because it was less than 150.00 and does not carry a lot of severe punishments. I am taking it seriously even if it's not the crime of the century. I reported my ATM card stolen the next day and took cabs the very next day.

Two lawyers I spoke with said that I could get probation or if the cabby doesnt show the case could be dismissed. The clerk I spoke with today said this happens often times, but she didnt want to say that will happen for me obviously.

just looking for some guidance. like I said I already have a lawyer in the event I want to retain counsel. so please only give me your opinion.

thanks

FlyingRon

Your best bet would be have the lawyer negotiate with the cabbie/cab company to see if they can drop the complaint.

If not, I'd have him go and plead not-guilty.

irish77

Thanks for the suggestion. That was what I was going to go with before speaking to two lawyers who were friends of friends. They said since it was one charge I can go and defend myself. The state has to prove intent. More to the story was that I lost my ATM card that night, but did have sufficient funds. I asked the cabbie to take me to a second destination and he refused. I am jjust going to take this on my own. Lawyer said at worst I'll get a fine. At best the cabby wont even show. In any case, I'm not shelling out a dime just so someone can tell the same story I will be telling to the judge. The one lawyer said this was the most pathetic charge she's ever heard. I have to agree at this point. It's all about money...

You're having a string of bad luck there irish. This definitely seems like a cabbie that had probably dealt with people that had already been on his last nerve and was looking for somebody to be the scape goat. Best of luck!

irish77

thanks

Thanks Reformed....

xylene..The cabby should of driven me to another destination because I had cash & cards to pay him with at my place of residence that weekend. I actually did that when I was released from processing. I said, 'please wait here, here's my PA ID, I will be back down with a card to pay you...he waited, I paid. case closed....'

After speaking to a PD last night I'm not even worried about it. She said it will be virtually impossible for them to prove intent to steal when I entered that cab. I agree, I was probably on his last nerve, but instead of getting me arrested, he could of went with Plan A. In any case, I'm not worried about it because I honestly didn't realize I had lost my ATM card until it was too late.

I took 10 cabs that weekend. I paid all but one. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">