• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cheated out of full time benefits...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I suspect you're out of luck. While I am not for a moment denying that you got gypped, it doesn't sound to me as if it was done deliberately. As soon as you brought the matter to their attention, they took steps to correct it, even if not the steps you would have preferred. Which says that if you had mentioned it to them sooner, they would have most likely done something sooner.

Additionally, there are laws - not just policies, honest to goodness Federal laws - regarding when you can add an employee to any kind of ERISA benefit, which includes health insurance. You can add an employee when they first become eligible, during the annual Open Enrollment period, or when there is an IRS-approved qualifying event. But at no other time. Mistakes can be corrected, but they can only be corrected retroactively so far. EXACTLY so far varies, but we allow 90 day retroactive corrections and we sometimes have to hold the insurance carrier's feet to the fire to get them to go that far back. (We're a HUGE employer who employs half the city of Cambridge, so we have a certain amount of clout. :D)

Please don't think I'm putting the blame on you. They're the ones who goofed. But if you had brought the matter to their attention at the end of the 90 day waiting period, they would have had to do one of two things; enroll you in benefits, or drop you back to part time then. So one of two things would have happened; you'd have had the benefits, or you'd have not worked the full time hours. But several months after the fact, they were beyond the window when they can make a retroactive correction, and there was no qualifying event to start benefits up, the only way to fix it is to drop you back to part time.

I'm wondering what might happen if you went to them and said, "look, I know that under the law you can't add me to the health insurance until there is a life event. But during the next Open Enrollment, would you consider putting me back to 40 hours a week and letting me enroll in benefits?" The worst they can say is No, and if you take the position that you understand why they are doing what they are doing and no objecting to it, they might see reason.

NHB.SQ87

I suspect you're out of luck. While I am not for a moment denying that you got gypped, it doesn't sound to me as if it was done deliberately. As soon as you brought the matter to their attention, they took steps to correct it, even if not the steps you would have preferred. Which says that if you had mentioned it to them sooner, they would have most likely done something sooner.

Additionally, there are laws - not just policies, honest to goodness Federal laws - regarding when you can add an employee to any kind of ERISA benefit, which includes health insurance. You can add an employee when they first become eligible, during the annual Open Enrollment period, or when there is an IRS-approved qualifying event. But at no other time. Mistakes can be corrected, but they can only be corrected retroactively so far. EXACTLY so far varies, but we allow 90 day retroactive corrections and we sometimes have to hold the insurance carrier's feet to the fire to get them to go that far back. (We're a HUGE employer who employs half the city of Cambridge, so we have a certain amount of clout. :D)

Please don't think I'm putting the blame on you. They're the ones who goofed. But if you had brought the matter to their attention at the end of the 90 day waiting period, they would have had to do one of two things; enroll you in benefits, or drop you back to part time then. So one of two things would have happened; you'd have had the benefits, or you'd have not worked the full time hours. But several months after the fact, they were beyond the window when they can make a retroactive correction, and there was no qualifying event to start benefits up, the only way to fix it is to drop you back to part time.

I'm wondering what might happen if you went to them and said, "look, I know that under the law you can't add me to the health insurance until there is a life event. But during the next Open Enrollment, would you consider putting me back to 40 hours a week and letting me enroll in benefits?" The worst they can say is No, and if you take the position that you understand why they are doing what they are doing and no objecting to it, they might see reason.
Interesting. Just a couple questions though. Why do I even have to bring this to their attention? They continued to schedule me for 40 hours, every week. They knew that one of those two things would have to happen for quite some time. Were they just running out the clock? Also, the store manager I had mentioned all of this to is new. he had been transferred from another store. The previous manager completely had me in a spin, continuing to approve my schedules of 40 hours - knowing that I was classified as part time - and basically had told me I would have to "earn" the full time status... exactly how dishonest is that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because errors happen. I doubt that your manager is the one responsible for getting you enrolled in benefits, and your benefits office is not necessarily aware of how many hours you are working. I work in Benefits. I don't see anyone's time cards. I only know what the computer says. If the computer says you're classified as part time, I have no way of knowing that you're working full time hours, and have no reason to mistrust the computer.

At the other end of the scale, your manager knows how many hours he's scheduling you for, but it's unlikely whether he knows whether you're enrolled in benefits or not. There are certain managers who regularly call me to ask if all their people are enrolled, but there are far more who do not, than who do. And it's not really their responsibility to do so. Ultimately enrolling in benefits is the employee's responsibility. Sorry, but that's nonetheless true.

You're the only one who knows both sides of the coin, and while it would be nice if the right hand and the left hand always knew to talk to each other, sometimes it takes your pointing out the discrepancy before both sides see it.

NHB.SQ87

Store manager A is not the entire enterprise.
Yeah. I'm having the most miserable damn summer of my life over here, so it only figures this wouldn't work out either. I'm seriously ill and need access to a doctor, but these guys at my job just don't care. It's all about the bottom line to them. Sad really, because I was very loyal until now. But thank you for your time man, I really do appreciate it.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yeah. I'm having the most miserable damn summer of my life over here, so it only figures this wouldn't work out either. I'm seriously ill and need access to a doctor, but these guys at my job just don't care. It's all about the bottom line to them. Sad really, because I was very loyal until now. But thank you for your time man, I really do appreciate it.
It's not their job to worry about your health problems. :cool:

LdiJ

You can go to a doctor and pay for it. You can look for a low cost clinic in your area and go there. You do have options to get medical care even without insurance.

Some providers will discount non insured patients if you pay for services in full at the time if the visit. It's worth calling and asking.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Read the post, disney. They already gave him less hours. Instead of benefits. That's the whole point.

LdiJ

Some providers will discount non insured patients if you pay for services in full at the time if the visit. It's worth calling and asking.
I don't have medical insurance, and all of my providers give me a 40% discount for not using insurance.

I don't have medical insurance, and all of my providers give me a 40% discount for not using insurance.
I could imagine that paying for services at a 40% discount is actually cheaper that paying the high insurance premiums, co pays and deductibles....if you're a reasonably healthy person.

OP, you complained to your employer and they solved the problem. A company not following their own handbook is within their right and you have no recourse as long as state or federal law has not been broken. Had you not said anything at all you could have continued working 40 hours and seen a little more on your pay check each week, which is what I would have done. At least 5 or so extra hours would have helped pay medical bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">