• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Bounce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am an indian citizen. I did some work for a sillicon valley based internet company. They paid me by a check of a US bank, which bounced. The reason given was "insufficient funds" .
Can I (being an indian citizen) sue the company in a US court?? If yes then can someone advice me a lawyer who can work for share of claim amount, as I am a student and I cant afford a lawyer on my own.
Please email me at [email protected]
with your comments. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

([email protected])


Alice A

Yes, you can sue, but few lawyers will take commercial matters on a contigency unless the amount of money is large enough and they are confident that at the end of the day the check will be paid.

Is the the company still in business? (Is their website up? Do they answer Email?) Is its bank account active? Have you contacted them and asked about it -- even the richest companies can experience errors at the bank. And small honest companies can have a bad cash flow that just happened to hit your check. That's the first thing I'd suggest. Then look at attorneypages.com and ask one of the lawyers in the Silicon Valley / SF /San Jose area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential