• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

check fraud (lost checks)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

so, did the OP bother to call when the bag was stolen? When he realized somebody took $5k out of his account?

If the answer is no to those, guess who will be more believable when it gets to he said she said.

aldaron

Its been my experience banks will cash any check that goes through in a deposit, if you sign it joe public and your name is kwazy ibfume. I hurt my hand once and my signiture looked like a straight line and my checks still were cashed.

Antigone*

Its been my experience banks will cash any check that goes through in a deposit, if you sign it joe public and your name is kwazy ibfume. I hurt my hand once and my signiture looked like a straight line and my checks still were cashed.
Aldaron, there was a time when banks did check the signatures on checks that were coming through deposits. In this day and age that is no longer possible. The bank I work for process over 11 million checks a day in Southern California alone.

A bank will look at the signature on checks in certain instances, one being when presented at a teller and being cashed for a non-customer. The other instance is when there is a dispute, or in the case of fraud.

So you are right, you could probably sign Mickey Mouse on your checks and they will probably pay fine. This is why it is ever so important for customers and businesses to use the tools and resources made available to them. You are your own best defense, and it is your job to tell the bank something is wrong.

take care, tigi

Hole9yard

well if I took the check I wouldn't take it to a bank to cash it. It would be from a check cashing place. Due to if you cash a check in a different bank for which it was drawn from you usually need a account with that bank ( at lease where I live). Or if you cash it in the same back from which the check is from for that much money they would check signature. Hell I just cash a check from someone and they made me give a finger print on the check

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">