• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Denied Proper Education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allisonp320

What is the name of your state? Georgia Dekalb county- I started having my daughter approved for a hardship transfer three years ago due to she was being bullied and she wasn't doing well academically. That was in elementary school. She is now going to high school, but they turned her application down this year because of lack of documentation. I've never given them documentation before, and have never had any. My daughter has done so much better in this school area and is accustomed to the children there. Why would they want to deny an education where she thrives and does better academically than in her home school zone? We are caucasian, and live in a primarily black neighborhood. She would be the only white child in the entire school, that's why she was bullied in elementary school before. Nothing has changed since then, and there never was any documentation of it. What can I do other than have to move? I cannot afford to do that. I'm a disabled single parent.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
In many areas there are several elementary schools and only one high school. Perhaps they believe the problem will no longer exist because of this.

FlyingRon

Dekalb county is huge, so there are plenty of high schools. You're likely not going to get any mileage with the the school board claiming you're being discriminated against for being white. Anyhow, reestablishing documentation of special needs is standard (typically done every three years). You should avail yourself of the proper due process offered and if that doesn't work, I guarantee there are lawyers in that district that specialize in education law of this sort.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Anyhow, reestablishing documentation of special needs is standard (typically done every three years). You should avail yourself of the proper due process offered and if that doesn't work, I guarantee there are lawyers in that district that specialize in education law of this sort.
There has been no mention of special needs or special education, etc.

allisonp320

I don't believe your statement that she would be the only white student in the entire school.
check it for yourself...She would be attending Martin Luther King Jr. High School - The ONLY caucasian student. Whatever happened to "minority to majority", like when I was in school? Do they not look at that anymore?

Zigner

check it for yourself...She would be attending Martin Luther King Jr. High School - The ONLY caucasian student. Whatever happened to "minority to majority", like when I was in school? Do they not look at that anymore?
I stand corrected. Your child could be anywhere from the only student to 1 of 3 in the numbers I found.

In any case, simply being the only white student doesn't automatically qualify her to attend a different school.

FlyingRon

There has been no mention of special needs or special education, etc.
It is unclear. "She wasn't doing well academically" could be a disability under IDEA or Section 504. There's no statutory obligation for the school to do placement otherwise (allegations of being "bullied" or being the only white kid do not mandate alternative placement).

Just Blue

It is unclear. "She wasn't doing well academically" could be a disability under IDEA or Section 504. There's no statutory obligation for the school to do placement otherwise (allegations of being "bullied" or being the only white kid do not mandate alternative placement).
I "think" op was referring to the bullying that caused her daughter to not do well.

HRZ

Race is not a winning card to play, but failure to address bullying , if true and you and she can prove it may be a card the local board does not want to test ...especially if bullying has an impact on learning as well as " SAFETY" ..This may be hard to prove ....is the local administration on actual written notice about actual events?

Zigner

Check yourself. You are coming across as a bigot.
Perhaps...but she is right. in 2015/2016, out of the ~1,450 students, there were three white students, and more recently, it shows as 0 white students. (White meaning caucasian).

Zigner

Race is not a winning card to play, but failure to address bullying , if true and you and she can prove it may be a card the local board does not want to test ...especially if bullying has an impact on learning as well as " SAFETY" ..This may be hard to prove ....is the local administration on actual written notice about actual events?
The OP says she has no documentation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh and the district makeup:
Student Ethnic Distribution

• African-American 63.9%
  • Hispanic 16.7%
  • White-American 11.0%
  • Asian/Pacific Islander 6.4%
  • Other 2.0%

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Perhaps...but she is right. in 2015/2016, out of the ~1,450 students, there were three white students, and more recently, it shows as 0 white students. (White meaning caucasian).
She still comes across as a bigot that her precious WHITE child shouldn't have to go to high school with NON WHITES.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">