• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Like POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Utility

What is the name of your state? I live in Pa. My 58 year old sister is my mothers POA. She has changed my mothers address on Hospital bills, an annuity fund also her Social Security is listed my address. She then claims i am not getting the information to her. I have informed her numerous times to remove my address. My mother is in personal care unit at a nursing home and her memory is very limited. I am concerned that this will have major financial difficulties with the home. I have no other choice than to send the mail back. What options do I have ?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state? I live in Pa. My 58 year old sister is my mothers POA. She has changed my mothers address on Hospital bills, an annuity fund also her Social Security is listed my address. She then claims i am not getting the information to her. I have informed her numerous times to remove my address. My mother is in personal care unit at a nursing home and her memory is very limited. I am concerned that this will have major financial difficulties with the home. I have no other choice than to send the mail back. What options do I have ?
Why do you say that? Do you not have an address for your sister?

Perhaps this is your sister's way of trying to keep you in the loop.

Utility

Why do you say that? Do you not have an address for your sister?

Perhaps this is your sister's way of trying to keep you in the loop.
She does not have my permission to use my address. As I stated, she says I do not get the mail to her. Any important information could be lost and I"m responsible because it came to my address. The annuity fund involves a yearly distribution check I am not blindly handing over to her.

LdiJ

She does not have my permission to use my address. As I stated, she says I do not get the mail to her. Any important information could be lost and I"m responsible because it came to my address. The annuity fund involves a yearly distribution check I am not blindly handing over to her.
You are guaranteeing that things will go amiss by not forwarding the mail. I find your reasoning to be childish at best. And why would you not hand the yearly distribution check over to your sister since she is the POA? She is SUPPOSED to be handling your mother's money.

It almost sounds like you are mad that you are not the POA and therefore want to make things as difficult as possible.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How ironic that the only piece of mail the OP *wants* to hold on to is the one that has the money.

Utility

You are guaranteeing that things will go amiss by not forwarding the mail. I find your reasoning to be childish at best. And why would you not hand the yearly distribution check over to your sister since she is the POA? She is SUPPOSED to be handling your mother's money.

It almost sounds like you are mad that you are not the POA and therefore want to make things as difficult as possible.
She has changed to mine. Why do you think this is ok ? She is the POA Why would she do that unless she wanted to cause an issue

Zigner

How much mail can one person get? Is it really such a deluge that you simply can't put the time and energy in to dealing with it?

Your thread title is misleading - I thought you were indicating that the PO was acting like a child, when it reality it's you who are acting like a child.

Just Blue

How much mail can one person get? Is it really such a deluge that you simply can't put the time and energy in to dealing with it?

Your thread title is misleading - I thought you were indicating that the PO was acting like a child, when it reality it's you who are acting like a child.
Agree. Life is hard enough without being so petty.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Your mother is no longer able to live independently, and rather than work WITH your sister, you want to spitefully (and childishly) send mail back to the sender rather than share it with her?

You are not going to "blindly" hand over the annuity check so that she can pay the expenses?! What do you think annuities are for? What have you done to help your mother?

Keep this up and your memory impaired mother will remember enough to tell others that she only has one child.

Zigner

Your not answering why it's ok for her to change my mothers finances to my address ? She is the POA .
Here...let me give you the answer you want to hear, regardless of the correctness: It's NOT ok - she shouldn't do that!

Now, what are you going to do about it? How do you intend to force a change?

LdiJ

Your not answering why it's ok for her to change my mothers finances to my address ? She is the POA .
So, why is it such a big freaking deal? Either hand the mail to your sister, or mail it to her once a week or so. Is that really so difficult to do?

justalayman

Other than the issue of op ststing she doesn’t intent on blindly handing the annuity check to the sister, I can understand why she wouldn’t want the ,others mail sent to her. It appears the sisters don’t get along. I can see the other sister claiming op has destroyed mother’s mail if it doesn’t show up at sisters house, or even if it does and sister wants to claim it didn’t.

Op needs to contact her local postmaster and inquire if she can have all of,the mothers mail intercepted and not delivered to op’s home.

If that is not possible, I have no problem with op stamping ALL mail:

No such addressee at this address

And give it back to the mailman.

Sister can then change the address with the various senders and all will be well with the world

Btw utility,

Intercepting your mothers mail and keeping it is illegal. You do not have the authority to decide what happens to your mothers annuity payments and could actuslly be liable for damages if retaining the payment results in your mother owing additonal money by not having the funds available to pay a debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">