• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support after relinquishing parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Florida, my ex-husband lives in Missouri. When my daughter was 3 years old, my ex quit paying his $100 a month child support. After I reported him to Dept. of Children Services, he called me and asked if my new husband would like to adopt my daughter. My husband agreed and that was the last we heard from my ex until about 2 years ago. My daughter contacted my ex and has now been to visit him twice since August of 1999. He has paid for both airline tickets but nothing else. I have allowed this because I didn't want to upset her and I thought after one visit her curiosity would be satisfied and that would be the end of it. But now my ex is forming a relationship with her. Is it possible to collect back child support from him for the last 13 years since he seems to be laughing in my face that he hasn't had to pay support but now he is starting a relationship with her? Is it possible to start collecting child support from him now?

Thank You,
Susan Merryday



If the adoption went through, then he has no legal responsibility for her anymore. Your husband is considered her father in the eyes of the court.

On the same token, your ex has no legal rights to your child whatsoever. If you decided you didn't want her to visit him, there isn't anything he could do about it. But I do commend you for being considerate of your child's feelings.

I don't know if there's anything else you can do about back support. I believe it's a dead issue now, but hopefully others will chime in with some advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential