• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support / Child care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bthor

My ex & two kids live in Florida. I live in North Carolina & pay child support. Visitation has never been a issue. My ex is returning to work next month & asked for me to pay for child care for one child. I had no issue with this until she said she wants to claim both children on next years taxes

Her returning to work means my child support should go down, especially if I’m paying child day care right? What should I do legally in this? What are my rights?

Just Blue

My ex & two kids live in Florida. I live in North Carolina & pay child support. Visitation has never been a issue. My ex is returning to work next month & asked for me to pay for child care for one child. I had no issue with this until she said she wants to claim both children on next years taxes

Her returning to work means my child support should go down, especially if I’m paying child day care right? What should I do legally in this? What are my rights?
You can file for a modification of your support order. Are you making the same income as you were when the original support was order?

Bthor

Thank you! In terms of income making a little bit more. About a $1. I do not know her income when she’s going back to work. I know it’ll be a lot more than disability

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File for a child support modification and the proper agency will take into consideration both incomes and child care costs and health insurance costs.

Just Blue

Thank you! In terms of income making a little bit more. About a $1. I do not know her income when she’s going back to work. I know it’ll be a lot more than disability
To clarify...Which state is the order out of...Florida or North Carolina?

LdiJ

Whether or not your child support might go down because she is returning to work depends on whatever factors were included in the original child support calculations. No, you paying daycare generally would not make your child support go down because normally parents share daycare costs. If your income has changed at all that could impact things as well.

What you really need to do is google an online child support calculator for the state that made the original calculations and run the numbers a few different ways to see where you might end up. You don't want to file for a modification if it turns out that your child support might go up.

You should also be aware that unless mom gives you a signed form 8332 voluntarily, or a court orders her to give you a signed form 8332 then you are not permitted, under the tax code, to claim the children at all. On top of that, even if mom gives you a signed form 8332, you are not permitted to take a daycare credit. Mom, as the residential parent, is the only one who is permitted under the tax code to claim that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">