• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support for college student in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debbiek

Arizona; I'm wondering if I'm able to get child support for my son who just turned 18 and graduated from High school in AZ, and will be attending college full time in AZ. I"ve been teh custodial parent and have had child support throughout the years, and I don't have a divorce agreement that stipulates taht the child support should end at 18, but there is no case law that seems to support a parent who is supporting their child through college to receive help from teh other parent...should I retain an attorney or is it a waste of my time? I was recently served papers from my ex-husband to stop the support, and I'm wondering if its worth my time to object to the petition and request a hearing or not...I was also layed off of work last year and didn't do a change of circumstance (I'm still unemployed and my income went from $75K to nothing...I've done some business on my own but have made very little income... (I never requested additional asisstance through out the years, even though my son got older and expenses climbed because my exhusband was violent and I was scared of him so I didn't want to stir the pot....). Long story short...do I have a shot at this or not? thanks for the help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Slim to none - and I think you can see the back of Slim's head as it goes out the door.

Silverplum

Arizona; I'm wondering if I'm able to get child support for my son who just turned 18 and graduated from High school in AZ, and will be attending college full time in AZ. I"ve been teh custodial parent and have had child support throughout the years, and I don't have a divorce agreement that stipulates taht the child support should end at 18, but there is no case law that seems to support a parent who is supporting their child through college to receive help from teh other parent...should I retain an attorney or is it a waste of my time? I was recently served papers from my ex-husband to stop the support, and I'm wondering if its worth my time to object to the petition and request a hearing or not...I was also layed off of work last year and didn't do a change of circumstance (I'm still unemployed and my income went from $75K to nothing...I've done some business on my own but have made very little income... (I never requested additional asisstance through out the years, even though my son got older and expenses climbed because my exhusband was violent and I was scared of him so I didn't want to stir the pot....). Long story short...do I have a shot at this or not? thanks for the help!
I've found conflicting answers. Fairisfair would know...look for her posts to see if she's covered that topic.

http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=AZ

http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/childsupportresources/a/childsupportcol.htm
Arizona - No statute or case law holding parents to duty. Solomon v. Findley, 167 Ariz. 409. 808 P.2d 294 (1991).

http://www.law.arizona.edu/library/research/guides/familylaw/childsupport.cfm?page=research

http://family-law.lawyers.com/child-support/Non-Custodial-Parents-College-Expense-Obligation.html

fairisfair

the only way you are going to get it at this point is if your ex agrees to pay it, or if it was included in the original order.

Child support ends at age 18 or graduation whichever is applicable.

There is no state statute to support child support for college bound students.

Tell your son to get a job, and get financial aid. You might also have him apply for a Pell Grant, since your income appears to be minimal chances are he will qualify and those monies need not be repaid.

And SERIOUSLY??? it is almost AUGUST and you are just now thinking about this????:rolleyes:

Your divorce decree may not stipulate that support ends at 18, however state law DOES stipulate, child support ends at 18, at graduation or at age 19.

Graduation??? end of support.

Last edited:

Silverplum

:) Fair! I knew you'd come fix everything. :)

the only way you are going to get it at this point is if your ex agrees to pay it, or if it was included in the original order.

Child support ends at age 18 or graduation whichever is applicable.

There is no state statute to support child support for college bound students.

Tell your son to get a job, and get financial aid. You might also have him apply for a Pell Grant, since your income appears to be minimal chances are he will qualify and those monies need not be repaid.

And SERIOUSLY??? it is almost AUGUST and you are just now thinking about this????:rolleyes:

Your divorce decree may not stipulate that support ends at 18, however state law DOES stipulate, child support ends at 18, at graduation or at age 19.

Graduation??? end of support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">