• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support information requested - employer obligation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swalsh411

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Employer is in MD. No CA business activity whatsoever. Custodial parent lives in CA. Non-custodial parents lives in MD. Alameda Cnty Child support sends us this very long form to complete regarding pay, insurance, benefits, etc. Letter states that the authority to request this information is CA Family Code Section 17512. Is this law binding on an employer who has no nexus in CA?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Absolutely. And if the employer refuses to cooperate, the employer could find themselves on the hook for the child support that SHOULD have been deducted but was not.

It sounds like they are using the NCP's state to enforce the court order.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Employer is in MD. No CA business activity whatsoever. Custodial parent lives in CA. Non-custodial parents lives in MD. Alameda Cnty Child support sends us this very long form to complete regarding pay, insurance, benefits, etc. Letter states that the authority to request this information is CA Family Code Section 17512. Is this law binding on an employer who has no nexus in CA?
UIFSA handles interstate child support issues. I am not familiar with every part of UIFSA. Why however is the business having an issue completing the form? MD CS can step in and force the issue.

swalsh411

The reason I don't feel like cooperating is that they have jerked us around for the better part of two years. They would literally submit a new amount to withhold every other month, and several times they turned it off only to turn it back on again. Then we had this whole debacle where they lost several checks, had us reissue them, then turned around and tried to cash the original ones (which were stopped) then had the gual to demand we write them a letter saying it was our fault. They also gave the custodial parent my direct line and she badgers me every month asking where her check is when I have no control over that.

Furthermore, it's asking me to sign under penalty of purjery that I have personal knowledge that the records I have submitted are accurate and I refuse to do that. Some of the info is before my time so while I believe it to be correct I'm not going to swear by it. I think I will just send it back with the info they want but with a note that I refuse to sign under penalty of perjury.

They are just all around incompetent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">