• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support modification based on shared income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snsdaugh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I found out the the noncustodial parent was served papers for the modification over a month ago. He did not agree with the agency recommendation and has retained an attorney to represent him. I understand that georgia uses shared income as a child support guideline. I currently am not working as I am in the clinical phase of my schooling. Even though i am not working, it was reported that I work 40 hours a week at minimum wage (I do not have a problem with this, it was explained to me that they do this because i am capable of working full time at minimum wage). Currently, the child support he pays is about 5% of his income, $65 weekly. Since the child support is an agency recommendation based on shared income, what is chance of him getting the child support that was recommended for him to pay by the child support agency significantly lowered at his current income? Does the agency recommendation usually hold true in court? The current child support does not even cover our child's after school care every week. I am scared that he has purposely not worked as many hours recently since he knows the court date is coming up and his income will be reviewed. will they just look at his recent income or an income from the past several months? I dont have money for an attorney so I am kinda of relying on the child support agency to tell me how much he should be paying, and i do not want to get talked into anything thats unfair.
Thank you for any help or advice!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I found out the the noncustodial parent was served papers for the modification over a month ago. He did not agree with the agency recommendation and has retained an attorney to represent him. I understand that georgia uses shared income as a child support guideline. I currently am not working as I am in the clinical phase of my schooling. Even though i am not working, it was reported that I work 40 hours a week at minimum wage (I do not have a problem with this, it was explained to me that they do this because i am capable of working full time at minimum wage). Currently, the child support he pays is about 5% of his income, $65 weekly. Since the child support is an agency recommendation based on shared income, what is chance of him getting the child support that was recommended for him to pay by the child support agency significantly lowered at his current income? Does the agency recommendation usually hold true in court? The current child support does not even cover our child's after school care every week. I am scared that he has purposely not worked as many hours recently since he knows the court date is coming up and his income will be reviewed. will they just look at his recent income or an income from the past several months? I dont have money for an attorney so I am kinda of relying on the child support agency to tell me how much he should be paying, and i do not want to get talked into anything thats unfair.
Thank you for any help or advice!
Your question was answered down the street (at the other forum you visited earlier). :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">