• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support or prison?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Otterchick

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Forgive me if this is a little long, just would like some advice. My husband and I have been raising his 3 children from a previous relationship for 6 years. During this time we have received very little child support because the mother is too lazy to hold a job. She is now just under $26,000 in arrears. After trying and trying to get child support to do something, they finally took her to court last week and she was sentenced to 30 days in jail. During her stay she was allowed to leave for 2 hours a day to look for a job which would suspend her sentence as long as she remained employed. She was waiting on a start date from a local store so we thought we might actually get some money. Here is where the fun starts.

The person in charge of checking her apps informed this store that she was going to be charged with a felony. Six counts actually of failure to pay child support. So now we can either forgive her back debt and make a side deal that she hopefully lives up to where she pays us money (through a lawyer), or we allow her to go to prison for a minimum of 12 years and receive squat. Although I believe she deserves what she gets, I don't see that this solves anything. Her boyfriend says he will help her pay the support to us, but who knows how long that will last.

My question is this: Which is in our best interests - try for a side deal through a lawyer or just allow her to serve her time for non-payment?

Zephyr

the best interest of the kids would probably be for mom not to be in prison, but mom does have an obligation to provide support for her children too, it's a pickle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">