• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support when child lives with grandparents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenya Peace

What is the name of your state? Texas

My ex husband has custody. However, my daughter actually lives with his mother, her grandmother. She takes her to school, picks her up, feeds and cloths her and provides a room of for mydaughter in her house. I pay child support to my ex. Is it possible to force him to pay half to his mother and I pay half to her?

Leslie

BelizeBreeze

Kenya Peace said:

My ex husband has custody. However, my daughter actually lives with his mother, her grandmother. She takes her to school, picks her up, feeds and cloths her and provides a room of for mydaughter in her house. I pay child support to my ex. Is it possible to force him to pay half to his mother and I pay half to her?

Leslie
You're kidding right?

nextwife

Kenya Peace said:

Leslie

Gee, that sounds like what my best friends do for their daughter and son-in-laws kid. They get her several times during the week.

Come to think of it, my aunt and uncle do the same with my cousin and her husband's kids. Aunt & uncle have the kiddos overnight a few times a month. They call it being active grandparents.

rmet4nzkx

Have you thought about petitioning the court to modify custody and child support given the change in circumstances, if your daughter really resides with her grandmothers.

N

NoDiggety

Kenya Peace said:

Leslie
Oh great...another MOTHER who thinks they have no obligation to support their kids. Let me guess...you think Dad should pay though, right?! :rolleyes:

Gracie3787

Kenya Peace said:

Leslie
Is your daughter living with Grandma full time?
Is your ex also living with his mother?
If he is you can't do anything.
If he isn't you can file for a modification and the court can order both parents to pay CS to the Grandmother.
Edit: Check with an attorney because the Grandmother may have to be the one to file for CS from Dad.

Last edited:

Gracie3787

NoDiggety said:
Oh great...another MOTHER who thinks they have no obligation to support their kids. Let me guess...you think Dad should pay though, right?! :rolleyes:
Please read the poster's post again. This mother is NOT trying to get out of paying CS as you claim. She believes that since her daughter is NOT LIVING WITH DAD he should also be paying CS, I don't see where that's an unreasonable question given the fact that children are supposed to be supported by BOTH parents.
Gracie

nextwife

Kenya Peace said:

Leslie

She said that the child didn't live with dad because:, Grandma DOES have "a" room in her home for her GRandchild. That does NOT mean Dad does not also have a room. As stated. I have several friends who pick up and keep their grandkids overnight sometimes. They DO have a room in their home for their grandkid(s), but the child does NOT at all live with them.

DOES dad NOT have a room for his child?

MrsK

Based on both posts, no, it doesnt look like child lives with dad.

While grandma would have to petition for the change, I certainly would go have a talk with granny & encourage her to file for support from dear ol dad as well as from you OP, to make sure she is getting ALL the c/s due for the care for the child because its really not fair that BOTH parents arent supporting the child, not to mention I dont think grandma should have to shell out a dime when NEITHER parent is raising her. Between the two parents, the child should be supported 100% and mom & dad should be kissing granny's rear end for picking up their slack.

MrsK

moburkes said:
But granny probably won't ask her SON to give her child support $.
Possibly, but I'd still give it a try if I was the mom. Granny probably supports the child out of love, but personally I'd be a bit resentful if my son was keeping the c/s, when I could get c/s from the mom AND son for raising THEIR child. I personally wouldnt be all too happy about having to raise my grandchild, and like I said, I am sure she does it out of love and because she is apparently more stable than the parents, but its a shame she is having to raise the child.

Is there no way Mom could take it to court? You should ask an atty, OP, and see what you can do about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">