• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Withholding.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Recently, my ex and I have agreed to a revised Joint Parenting Agreement that now includes child support since she is moving away with the kids. The previous Agreement was since we had the kids roughly equal times and paid roughly equal expenses that there was no child support on either side.

However, I do not see a specific child support order or withholding order in the paperwork from the lawyer. And the court's online system only lists the Parenting Agreement as being ordered. Is there a way to get my employer to take it out of my check? I could wait and see if somehow they get notified to withhold but I'd rather not get behind on my payments if my employer wasn't told to withhold.

I'm thinking of using the online system that ILSDU says I can use or send in a paper check. Will they know where to send the payment if they haven't been given the specific Illinois Order to Withhold Income for Child Support?

Just not sure what to do exactly. Really don't want to get behind but don't want to be double billed either, if that makes sense.:confused:

Illinois state has a program for NCPs that allows them to make child support payments through automatic deduction from your savings or checking account (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc). You can read more about this option and other options available to NCPs on their website here:
http://www.childsupportillinois.com/customers/ncpservices.html
Thank you so much for that information. My general question, though, is whether I should pay them directly and chance paying twice or wait til my check comes. But if I wait I'd already be behind - which I really don't want to do. Also, is there a way short of an order to get my employer to make the payment out of my check :)

LdiJ

Thank you so much for that information. My general question, though, is whether I should pay them directly and chance paying twice or wait til my check comes. But if I wait I'd already be behind - which I really don't want to do. Also, is there a way short of an order to get my employer to make the payment out of my check :)
You can ask your employer to do a voluntary withholding. Not all employers are cooperative about that and you risk the money not getting credited properly, but many employers will do that if an employee asks. For example, if you KNOW for certain that the state is not going to do a wage garnishment you could give your employer direct deposit information to deposit a specific amount of your wages into the other parent's bank account. It would be similar to an employer direct depositing XXX amount of your check into your checking account, and XXX amount of your check into your savings account.

Again, though, I would not do that unless you know for certain that the state is not going to garnish your wages. If you know they are going to garnish, and you would rather not be behind, then you can simply save up the extra money until garnishment starts, and then make an extra payment towards the arrears once you have an account number etc., with the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">