• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City water line leak flooding my yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

State: OK

We have had a problem for several months that became critical after the really cold weather. Our back yard is now very soggy and actually had standing water after a rain. We have tried for several weeks to get help. We now have seen a wet spot on the street in front of our house. Earlier this year they changed out the meter and created problems with dirt in the house water line clogging the faucets, dishwasher, etc. The issue appears to be connected with the line from the main feeder to the meter. It is not on the house side of the meter since we have normal usage.

What is the city's responsibility in remediating the problems in our yard and house since it appears to be due to the negligence of the contractor or city employees doing the work.

(As it happens, we had problems with the city water contractor failing to properly disconnect a meter at another of our properties; we ended up being charged for 74,000 gallons of usage through a disconnected meter before they managed to get around to correcting the error.)

quincy

State: OK

We have had a problem for several months that became critical after the really cold weather. Our back yard is now very soggy and actually had standing water after a rain. We have tried for several weeks to get help. We now have seen a wet spot on the street in front of our house. Earlier this year they changed out the meter and created problems with dirt in the house water line clogging the faucets, dishwasher, etc. The issue appears to be connected with the line from the main feeder to the meter. It is not on the house side of the meter since we have normal usage.

What is the city's responsibility in remediating the problems in our yard and house since it appears to be due to the negligence of the contractor or city employees doing the work.

(As it happens, we had problems with the city water contractor failing to properly disconnect a meter at another of our properties; we ended up being charged for 74,000 gallons of usage through a disconnected meter before they managed to get around to correcting the error.)
You need to first find the source of the problem before you can determine if it is the city at fault for causing it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Odds are the water line that is on your property is your property and it would be your responsibility to repair it.
In my part of the woods, anything from the main line to the meter is the water company's problem, and anything from the meter to my house is my problem.

quincy

In my part of the woods, anything from the main line to the meter is the water company's problem, and anything from the meter to my house is my problem.
A lot depends on what the actual problem is. If the problem is the result of poor installation by the city contractor, the homeowner should not be responsible for repair.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A lot depends on what the actual problem is. If the problem is the result of poor installation by the city contractor, the homeowner should not be responsible for repair.
I agree - my post was in response to PayrollHRGuys assertion that the physical location of the problem (on the property vs not on the property) determines responsibility.

Ok, he did say "odds are...", so his statement wasn't meant to be definitive. :)

t74

Repair of the line is definitely the city's problem. The issue is the damage the leak has cause to our property.

We now suspect that the city identified a problem in the line from the feeder to the meter (under the street) and decided to replace the meter when the problem was in the pipe which has now failed although not catastrophically enough to have water damaging the street pavement.

The water department has repeatedly assured us that they had no issues. We have had our own plumbers (2 times), sewer, storm sewers, fire department (pressure on hydrant), Department of Environmental quality, Corporation Commission (to look for leaking oil well), 3 geotech engineers (underground springs), french drain companies. We now, after a rain, have water standing in the backyard which happens to be lower than the front and on a low spot on the downslope to a creek. What I now get is that they will try to look at it today. It took them 4 days to get to a leak with water gushing out of the ground from my side of the meter.that was improperly installed by them.

I have equipment in a backyard shed that connot be accessed due to the water and soggy ground. We were advised that it will take months to dry out the mess once they fix the leak and who knows when that will be.

t74

We do not have flood insurance because we are well out of the flood plain. I did not think our homeowners would cover damage to the yard or house due to an outside the property water leak..

Something needs to be done to get rid of the standing water. We have clay under about 6 inches of topsoil so walking has a person sinking to the clay layer. I should not have to pay to pump the water out of my yard eapecially since the city was advised of a problem over 6 months ago.

Maybe it is time to put in a fish pond.

quincy

We do not have flood insurance because we are well out of the flood plain. I did not think our homeowners would cover damage to the yard or house due to an outside the property water leak..

Something needs to be done to get rid of the standing water. We have clay under about 6 inches of topsoil so walking has a person sinking to the clay layer. I should not have to pay to pump the water out of my yard eapecially since the city was advised of a problem over 6 months ago.

Maybe it is time to put in a fish pond.
You should speak to your insurance agent. What you describe is not a “flood water” problem. It is a water leak problem.

FarmerJ

Sand that got into the houses water lines ,, well any time work is done like meter swaps when meter is not in a basement it is wise to take off clothes washer hoses and start flushing the lines then take aerators off faucets and do the same. As to water in your yard I suggest you look at getting a decent pair of mud boots on and consider either doing it your self or having it done but your back yard sounds like it could use some channels to help drain water to the creek, your city was not responsible to flush your homes water lines and you should learn if your city has a office where you can file claims for other damage such as damages to the yard from the leakage. ( up here we are in full mud season now with ground thawing and it will suck your boots right off your feet in some places and Remulak knows how deep your cars can sink in it too

quincy

... it is wise to take off clothes washer hoses and start flushing the lines then take aerators off faucets and do the same. As to water in your yard I suggest you look at getting a decent pair of mud boots on and consider either doing it your self or having it done but your back yard sounds like it could use some channels to help drain water to the creek, your city was not responsible to flush your homes water lines and you should learn if your city has a office where you can file claims for other damage such as damages to the yard from the leakage. ( up here we are in full mud season now with ground thawing and it will suck your boots right off your feet in some places and Remulak knows how deep your cars can sink in it too
Either a hyphen between clothes and washer or just saying “washer hoses” could make your sentence a little clearer. ;)

Odds are the water line that is on your property is your property and it would be your responsibility to repair it.
At the city I work for, we install a cutoff box at the edge of the right-of way. Generally speaking, on the house side of the sidewalk. We maintain the pipe from the main to the cutoff box. The property owner is responsible from the cutoff box to the meter. When the water field services folks go out on a leak call, they determine who has to make the repair by exercising the cutoff: If the water department can control the leak by turning the water off at the property line, it's up to the property owner, if not - it's on us.

PayrollHRGuy

At the city I work for, we install a cutoff box at the edge of the right-of way. Generally speaking, on the house side of the sidewalk. We maintain the pipe from the main to the cutoff box. The property owner is responsible from the cutoff box to the meter. When the water field services folks go out on a leak call, they determine who has to make the repair by exercising the cutoff: If the water department can control the leak by turning the water off at the property line, it's up to the property owner, if not - it's on us.
That's the way it is here as well.

t74

There is no water loss on our side of the meter. It is definitely a city problem even if it is at the city side of the meter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">