• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

civil suit ignored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tammara

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My uncle & cousin were doing home repair work together. They purchased several thousand dollars worth of material from a company and then refused to pay for it. My uncle then filed bankruptcy. The company filed a civil suit against both my uncle & cousin. They ignored all certified mail and neither one would appear in court. Eventually it was discovered that my uncle had filed bankruptcy. Will my cousin be held responsible for all, some, or none of the debt?

Thanks for your time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tammara said:
Will my cousin be held responsible for all, some, or none of the debt?
The short answer is "yes"

But that's not what you wanted ;)
It really depends on how the paperwork/contract was completed with the supplier.
If they both ignore the civil proceedings and the supplier obtains a default judgement, then they can both be held liable. If the uncle squirms out of it based on his bankruptcy, then the cousin can be held liable for it in full.

Tammara

civil suit

Thank you for responding.

The supplier did obtain a default judgement and a request for attorney fees was granted.

To be honest about it, I think the supplier should be paid. I don't walk away from my debts and I don't believe anyone else should.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">