• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim against former university.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IMTime

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi,

I'm trying to decide if I should file a small claims suit against my former university and/or a professor. A year ago, this professor told me and his graduate student that we would get paid a certain amount to work on a technology demonstrator for a venture capitalist who would pay us by a grant to the university. He told us well before we finished that the university had already received the grant money and we were going to be paid. Then at the end of the semester, he told us the university didn't have any record of the check or grant, even though they previously told him before they did.

I graduated and moved out of state shortly after this, but I recently talked to the professor's graduate student, who told me the grant eventually came in and he had been paid, and that my money "was waiting for me". When I talked to the professor about this, he told me that there was no way I could get paid as I needed to be hired by the university first, and he denied that I was ever supposed to be paid for my previous work.

The only evidence I have is some email exchanges I had with this professor after I moved. Where after I tell him I moved permanently (which shows I can't work for him anymore), he says he will try hard to see that I'm paid, blames the university's dysfunction, and suggests the venture capitalist could pay me directly.

I'm considering filing a small clams suit against the university, since supposedly it received the grant money, and flying in for the court date. Is this a waste of time? Maybe I should file it against both the university and professor in case the court sees him as responsible.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What was your status at the university? Student, grad student, fellow, post doc, associate...?

quincy

What efforts have you made to resolve this through the university (not just the professor)?

Did you get class credit for the work?

IMTime

What efforts have you made to resolve this through the university (not just the professor)?
The last few days I've been calling offices there about this but so far I've been sent to voice mails. Maybe because it's not busy right now.

quincy

I mean in the last week
During the holiday break, you aren't apt to find too many people around to help you. I would call later this week.

I don't think you should be thinking about a lawsuit until all other avenues to get you your share of the grant money have been explored.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Grant funding is not my forte, but I know enough to know that if you were a student, and an undergrad, the school may not be permitted to pay you.

quincy

Grant funding is not my forte, but I know enough to know that if you were a student, and an undergrad, the school may not be permitted to pay you.
I know of a few research grants (NSF has a few, for example) that fund professor and undergraduate student research and the undergrad students are paid.

IMTime

During the holiday break, you aren't apt to find too many people around to help you. I would call later this week.

I don't think you should be thinking about a lawsuit until all other avenues to get you your share of the grant money have been explored.
Ok, the only issue is I will be leaving the state after break and then won't be able to file in person, but can by mail. Do you think it's a bad idea to tell the university I'm considering a lawsuit?

quincy

Ok, the only issue is I will be leaving the state after break and then won't be able to file in person, but can by mail. Do you think it's a bad idea to tell the university I'm considering a lawsuit?
Yes. It is a bad idea.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A few, Q, and I'm not saying it's not possible. But you know where I work, right? In the eight and a half years I've been there, I have yet to see a single instance of an undergrad being eligible for payment under any kind of grant. While I am not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's unusual for an undergrad to be paid through grant funding.

quincy

A few, Q, and I'm not saying it's not possible. But you know where I work, right? In the eight and a half years I've been there, I have yet to see a single instance of an undergrad being eligible for payment under any kind of grant. While I am not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's unusual for an undergrad to be paid through grant funding.
There are several research grants available for undergraduate students. These grants are not unusual. The students just need to look for them.

Some links to paid research opportunities for undergraduate students:
Cornell: http://undergraduateresearch.cornell.edu/getting-started/research-funding/

Harvard: https://college.harvard.edu/academics/research-initiatives

University of Michigan: https://lsa.umich.edu/math/undergraduates/research-and-career-opportunities/research/research-experience-for-undergraduates--reu-.html

Most universities will have paid research opportunities listed on their websites.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Fair enough. I don't work with undergrads generally so perhaps I've simply not encountered one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">