• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim impact on Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChefV

Hello, I'm Victor and Live in NJ.
I recently had a "wind and hail" claim with USAA to repair a fence due to a downed tree limb. I was told by the claims adjuster that I could get $1,500 and change for my claim. I said ok great, but can you tell me what impact this will have on on my future premiums if I accept this amount. This is a question he could not answer and I replied that I would not accept it if it would increase my premiums dramatically and again, he could not provide an answer to my question. So I said Ok, who could tell me what type of impact this would have on my policy, and again he was unsure how to respond and suggested I speak with an agent responsible for my policy.

I did just that and expressed my concerns to this woman that if my accepting this claim may only cost me another $30 on my premium, for example, then I will accept the payment. But if that disbursement resulted in a $300 increase in my premium, for example, I would decline it. Her response was that she could not answer that question so I suggested an alternative approach.... Since USAA has all of my home owners information, which increased my premiums this year for no other reason but inflation, logic says that I should be able to request as a query, a new homeowners quote for my property, but with having paid out a premium of $1,500.... Insurance agents provide quotes all the time so it should be commonplace to request a quote based on specific parameters and she replied that she could not create a quote on "fictious" parameters.

So, short story longer... How can an insurance company provide insurance for accidents, but then not be able/willing to tell their customers the impact of using their services... Call me crazy, but there seems to be a disconnect with this industry and the real world.

adjusterjack

Rates and surcharges are developed by the company's corporate executives and actuaries and automatically applied by a computer.

Underwriters, claims people and agents are not privy to any of that information. They can't tell you because they don't know.

You know the old saying that the only sure things are death and taxes.

Well, there's one more. Insurance rates go up.

Worse, you've already made the claim. It's on your insurance record whether you take the money or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">