• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Class A Misdemeanor" - Endangering the life of child. Left kid unattend in a parked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masque47

TODAY. Some comet is hitting earth and it's all your fault for not being careful. Anyways. I know it was my mistake. You guys telling the same and trying to scare won't help :)
All the hatred apart.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!
Hope the law folks have a great next coming year !!

ajkroy

Who here believes it was a decent temperature in a car in IL in December? I'm in NH and it has been mild here, but I still wouldn't want to be in a parked car for over ten minutes... :(

I'mTheFather

Who here believes it was a decent temperature in a car in IL in December? I'm in NH and it has been mild here, but I still wouldn't want to be in a parked car for over ten minutes... :(
Illinois had some unseasonably warm days during November and December with highs in the 50s. If it was one of those days, it wouldn't be uncomfortable.

Still not safe and against the law, but not uncomfortable.

OHRoadwarrior

I think the point here is even if OP set the car alarm, anyone could have broken the window and taken the child and OP would not have been within hearing and sight distance to react.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Honestly, I was away for 10-15mins and the cop can prove this to the judge -> probably by showing the time of call of witness and my arrival time etc.
I will explain how your "math" is flawed on this aspect:

Bystander notices child in the car, stands around and waits 10 min before calling 911.
Unless the officer was already in the parking lot, it would have taken him a while to get there. So, we'll give him an arrival time of 5 min.
(you with me so far?)
So, we already have 15 min.

How long was the child in the car before the bystander took notice?
How long did it take you to arrive back at the car after the officer arrived?

Unless the bystander watched you walk away from the car (leaving the child), your story of "I was gone 10-15 min" is a bit shaky.
If you gave the age of the child, I missed it. Nevertheless, if the child is a baby, a toddler, or under about the age of 10? You placed the child in danger. Your ticket is justified, and the best you should hope for is some sort of plea agreement

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Bystander notices child in the car, stands around and waits 10 min before calling 911.
Unless the officer was already in the parking lot, it would have taken him a while to get there. So, we'll give him an arrival time of 5 min.
(you with me so far?)

Unless the bystander watched you walk away from the car (leaving the child), your story of "I was gone 10-15 min" is a bit shaky.
If you gave the age of the child, I missed it. Nevertheless, if the child is a baby, a toddler, or under about the age of 10? You placed the child in danger. Your ticket is justified, and the best you should hope for is some sort of plea agreement
The child was in a car seat. Which definitely means under the age of 10 and most likely a toddler or infant.

masque47

(you with me so far?)

Thanks. Any idea on what a plea agreement is usually and how it works would be helpful.
Many thanks again. The DCFS wants to come visit my house now.

masque47

Don't blame them but say no. They have no right to come in your home.
The letter says they have been assigned to investigate the case. If I say "no":
1. Will they accept?
2. Will this lead to a severe penalty or -ve points in the eyes of the judge?
3. On the day to the court, should I take stuff (pics etc) to show the judge that I love my child and this was a stupid mistake.?

Many thanks.

Silverplum

On the day to the court, should I take stuff (pics etc) to show the judge that I love my child and this was a stupid mistake.?

Many thanks.
You keep asking that. Photos don't overcome actions. You endangered your child in order to indulge your control-freak desires. Who cares if you hug him/her in a photo?

masque47

You keep asking that. Photos don't overcome actions. You endangered your child in order to indulge your control-freak desires. Who cares if you hug him/her in a photo?
Ok, thanks for the reply.

The letter from DCFS says they have been assigned to investigate the case. If I say "no":
1. Will they accept?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, thanks for the reply.

The letter from DCFS says they have been assigned to investigate the case. If I say "no":
1. Will they accept?
1: They might or they might not. If they don't, then they'll get a court order.
2: It might or it might not.

These are questions to ASK YOUR ATTORNEY!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">