• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Client responsibility for contractual work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpkingllc

Hi, I recently had contracted a guy to do an exterior paint at my house. While working, he fell down from the stairs outside my house and had bad injury. I was wondering if I am liable for these incident? As I mentioned, it was just a temporary contract and we agreed for a certain amount in return of paint job. Can the guy sue me for the hospital or any other expenses? If so, can I claim that thru my home owner insurance? I have no clue as a client what my responsibility here? any help will greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

jpkingllc

Thanks for your response. He hasn't ask me for the reimbursement yet as he is still recovering. My quesion however was if he claims, am I legally responsible?? or I can simply deny as that wasn't our fault at all. he just hurt himself when no one was at the home and it was indeed his mistake. I am not sure if he was licensed. Does the home owner insurance covers any damage is if is entitled?

ecmst12

If you are liable, they will cover you. You hired someone to do work on your house and didn't check if they were licensed? What if he did a terrible job and damaged your property?

justalayman

a LOT depends on what state this is in. You failed to provide that information.

you also do not say why or how he fell. That is extremely important.

You also did not say (and apparently don't know) if he has insurance to cover himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">