• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clinic did not realize I was on Valium for 3 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul J.

What is the name of your state? New York

My clinic erroneously discontinued my prescription to Valium because they did not realize that I had been on it for 3 years. Someone did not thoroughly review my charts. I called to explain to them that I would suffer a withdrawal episode if they suddenly stopped the medication like this. But I guess they thought they were not liable.

It is only after receiving a grievance I filed that the clinic apprehended the error. This was after I had already completed the withdrawal episode due to not tapering off the medication. Now the clinic wants to offer me what is described as "follow up care" in the resolution letter to the grievance. There was a lot not explained to me. Is it possible I am being maneuvered in some way, that the care being offered serves an ulterior motive beneficial to the clinic?

If a doctor realized this kind of mistake, would he be required ethically or medically to offer the patient follow up care?

quincy

What is the name of your state? New York

My clinic erroneously discontinued my prescription to Valium because they did not realize that I had been on it for 3 years. Someone did not thoroughly review my charts. I called to explain to them that I would suffer a withdrawal episode if they suddenly stopped the medication like this. But I guess they thought they were not liable.

It is only after receiving a grievance I filed that the clinic apprehended the error. This was after I had already completed the withdrawal episode due to not tapering off the medication. Now the clinic wants to offer me what is described as "follow up care" in the resolution letter to the grievance. There was a lot not explained to me. Is it possible I am being maneuvered in some way, that the care being offered serves an ulterior motive beneficial to the clinic?

If a doctor realized this kind of mistake, would he be required ethically or medically to offer the patient follow up care?
A doctor and a clinic can discontinue patient medications or refuse to treat a patient. If you were concerned about withdrawal, you probably should have sought medical treatment elsewhere.

Why was Valium prescribed and how long have you been treated at the clinic?

xylene

I called to explain to them that I would suffer a withdrawal episode if they suddenly stopped the medication like this. But I guess they thought they were not liable.
Don't take shots in the dark as to what the clinics motivation was...

What did they instruct you to do when you informed them that sudden discontinuation of your valium would cause dangerous withdrawal symptoms?

What did they tell you when you called them and had withdrawal symptoms?

I don't exactly agree with quincy - if they were prescribing an addictive scheduled drug in a pateint with a multi-year history - that can producte lethal withdrawal effects. They may have continuity of care duties to the patient, but there is not enough info to say. Of course this depends on the reason they refused to prescribe more and the reason it was initially prescribed. It may not be so simple to 'just go to another doctor' because of the draonian rules of I-STOP/PMP in New York.

quincy

... I don't exactly agree with quincy - if they were prescribing an addictive scheduled drug in a pateint with a multi-year history - that can producte lethal withdrawal effects. They may have continuity of care duties to the patient, but there is not enough info to say. Of course this depends on the reason they refused to prescribe more and the reason it was initially prescribed. It may not be so simple to 'just go to another doctor' because of the draonian rules of I-STOP/PMP in New York.
I probably did not word my post correctly because I agree with what you are saying.

More information is needed to say if the doctor or clinic had a duty to continue with drug treatment.

Paul J.

I was being prescribed Valium for chronic insomnia. It is the clinic that first started the treatment plan 3 years ago. Before that, they had tried treating me with other drugs. But then one day, a doctor who didn't go over the charts, decided not to write up a refill for the Valium. When I called to question this, he said it was a controlled substance. And when I said I would undergo withdrawal, he advised me to go to see another doctor, like they were not responsible for medication management.

But it turns out he was not aware the clinic had started the Valium and when that came to light, they started behaving differently, much kinder and more patient. Trying to resolve the grievance "to my satisfaction."

They sent a refill of Valium to my pharmacy right away. That's why I'm suspicious about the "follow up care."

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm really not understanding why you didn't go back to the clinic to figure this out in person...

Paul J.

Yeah. That was part of the grievance resolution. The immediate refill and the follow up care during which they will do an evaluation.

quincy

Yeah. That was part of the grievance resolution. The immediate refill and the follow up care during which they will do an evaluation.
The clinic did not evaluate you before refilling your Valium prescription?

If they didn't reexamine you, that is a concern.

Paul J.

I'm trying to understand: if I accept follow up care, does not impact a future action on my part to take legal action (assuming I have a case)?

And does anyone know how risky it is generally, to suddenly discontinue from Valium after years of use?

quincy

I'm trying to understand: if I accept follow up care, does not impact a future action on my part to take legal action (assuming I have a case)?

And does anyone know how risky it is generally, to suddenly discontinue from Valium after years of use?
After 3 months of no Valium, the only problems you should be experiencing are the ones that led you to take Valium in the first place.

It would be irresponsible and possibly medically negligent to prescribe drugs without a physical examination first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">