• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co-op deal fell through

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emmyjt

I live in New York City. I was buying a co-op and had everything done except the closing. I had my board interview and they declined me. Their rules state that they do not have to tell me why. I laid out $400 for the mortgage application, $500 for the co-op application and about $300 in other "non-refundable" expenses. The way I figure it, the co-op board just made $500 and I went away with nothing. Do I have any legal stance to get any or all of this money back from the co-op board? (My credit rating was excellent and I earned way more then their requirements. I was punctual, nicely dressed and cordial).
Also, I'm waiting to get back my deposit that is in escrow. Should I be receiving interest on this amount? It was $10,000 and they had it for about 3 months.

HomeGuru

Next time understand what you are getting into beforehand ie. that the Board can turn you down and the application fee is not refundable, therefore you know the risks involved.
As far as interest on your deposit, read your purchase contract or contact escrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">