• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coach showering in front of High School students during athletics?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
where was there ANY mention of sexual abuse. OP said her child is creeped out. Being creeped out is nothing more than being uncomfortable. Unless there is a reason the child should be creeped out, I suggest it is simply a matter of the home teachings conflicting with the apparently legal activity.

but I do have a question; why is the coach showering? They typically do not engage in the physical activities the student does.

Personally, I would not shower in front of the kids. To me it is a matter of an established hierarchy being ignored. It changes the way a coach is perceived and, to me, it diminishes the level of respect the coach can demand once everybody has seen him naked.
Here is the issue for me: more than once I have been creeped out by someone, only for the person later to be in trouble with the law for what they did with children more privately.

So, LEGALLY, OP has no issues - there is nothing to address LEGALLY. Being creepy isn't a crime. We don't know if OP's son's uneasiness is based on bias or intuition. OP's son being uneasy around coach pretty much ensures that he doesn't trust the coach, won't want to be alone with the coach. OP complaining to the principal guarantees that the coach, unless he is a complete idiot, would not be alone behind closed doors with OP's son.

Last edited:

davew128

Here is the issue for me: more than once I have been creeped out by someone, only for the person later to be in trouble with the law for what they did with children more privately.
Your intuition is just that. People are overly sensitive about these things. Years ago while travelling for business I poked my head out of the hotel room and looked around the pool area because a girls softball team had just jumped in the pool and was being pretty loud and I wanted to see what the heck was going on. Five minutes later a bunch of fat angry dads were pounding on the door accusing me of being a sexual predator for actually looking at the pool while their daughters were in it. That my room faced the pool didn't seem to register in their heads. Point is, people look for the boogeyman to justify their own insecurities as human beings.

So, LEGALLY, OP has no issues - there is nothing to address LEGALLY. Being creepy isn't a crime. We don't know if OP's son's uneasiness is based on bias or intuition. OP's son being uneasy around coach pretty much ensures that he doesn't trust the coach, won't want to be alone with the coach. OP complaining to the principal guarantees that the coach, unless he is a complete idiot, would not be alone behind closed doors with OP's son.
OR its also possible the son isn't used to being around a naked person. When I was a HS athlete my coach once asked me to come into his private office while he was toweling off after he showered. I was uncomfortable because he was naked, but that's all it was. Now I wouldn't even bat an eye. It wasn't sexual, it was *gasp* A NAKED MAN. :eek:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I used to be very modest. Then I had children. Good grief. How many people saw me in childbirth? Two or three DOZEN? Yeah... modesty diminished.

Ladyback1

I used to be very modest. Then I had children. Good grief. How many people saw me in childbirth? Two or three DOZEN? Yeah... modesty diminished.
Almost as bad as childbirth: When you go to ER w/ chest pains, and other indicators of having a cardiac emergency. Modesty be d*mned--they are going to stick those little EKG stickers wherever they need to!:eek:

xylene

Your intuition is just that. People are overly sensitive about these things. Years ago while travelling for business I poked my head out of the hotel room and looked around the pool area because a girls softball team had just jumped in the pool and was being pretty loud and I wanted to see what the heck was going on. Five minutes later a bunch of fat angry dads were pounding on the door accusing me of being a sexual predator for actually looking at the pool while their daughters were in it. That my room faced the pool didn't seem to register in their heads. Point is, people look for the boogeyman to justify their own insecurities as human beings.
So an instance of hypervigalance that was baseless invalidates the OP son's concerns and those of his peers.

justalayman

So an instance of hypervigalance that was baseless invalidates the OP son's concerns and those of his peers.
so far there is no valid basis for his concern's. He isn't comfortable only due to the nudity. Nothing has happened. There is no indication that anything will happen.

the kid being creeped out does not show or even suggest there is any reason to believe there is anything nefarious going on here.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I strongly doubt the issue will come from actual transgendered people. More like typical high school pervs.

TD
And they're not likely going to be allowed to just choose a gender. That's just you being sensational.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The answer is real simple. Son does NOT shower after games or practice if he is creeped out. He goes home and showers there.

The answer is real simple. Son does NOT shower after games or practice if he is creeped out. He goes home and showers there.
Hopefully, it is that simple. I remember when I was in high school in Texas (and admittedly this was 1000 years ago and things could have changed drastically since then), we were not permitted to make that choice. Showering with the rest of the team was mandatory after practice. It may not have been mandatory after games - I don't remember that part very clearly - but we were definitely required to shower in the locker room after practice.

single317dad

Hopefully, it is that simple. I remember when I was in high school in Texas (and admittedly this was 1000 years ago and things could have changed drastically since then), we were not permitted to make that choice. Showering with the rest of the team was mandatory after practice. It may not have been mandatory after games - I don't remember that part very clearly - but we were definitely required to shower in the locker room after practice.
At my small rural high school, the girls' PE/volleyball/swimming/track coach was clearly a lesbian. She obviously changed and showered with her girls, because she'd go into the locker room in a swimsuit or uniform and come out in street clothes. Before her death a few years ago, she was honored by hundreds of her students as one of the pillars of our community and a critical part of their upbringing during her induction into the county Hall of Fame. I don't think they were damaged by her "creepiness".

A small group of us once figured out that from the laundry room vent, we could peek into the girls' locker room. Good thing that happened long ago, or we'd all be on the sex offender registry (we were caught and punished harshly).

davew128

At my small rural high school, the girls' PE/volleyball/swimming/track coach was clearly a lesbian. She obviously changed and showered with her girls, because she'd go into the locker room in a swimsuit or uniform and come out in street clothes. Before her death a few years ago, she was honored by hundreds of her students as one of the pillars of our community and a critical part of their upbringing during her induction into the county Hall of Fame. I don't think they were damaged by her "creepiness".

A small group of us once figured out that from the laundry room vent, we could peek into the girls' locker room. Good thing that happened long ago, or we'd all be on the sex offender registry (we were caught and punished harshly).
Did Coach Buella Ballbricker ask for a lineup so she could identify the tallywhacker in question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">