• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Codicil Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The mother of a family friend wants to add a codicil to her will stating that one of her beneficiaries can inherit a property under the condition that a specific individual never live on that property after her passing. Previously she was scheduled to inherit the property with no qualifiers. I do not know what the consequence would be if that condition isn’t met or even if one is to be put in place. Is this legal? Thank you in advance.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The mother of a family friend wants to add a codicil to her will stating that one of her beneficiaries can inherit a property under the condition that a specific individual never live on that property after her passing. Previously she was scheduled to inherit the property with no qualifiers. I do not know what the consequence would be if that condition isn’t met or even if one is to be put in place. Is this legal? Thank you in advance.
Whether the codicil to the will would be effective depends on exactly how the codicil is written and the applicable state law, and you've not provided either piece of information. However, the condition that someone else never live in it is likely to be a problem since generally she cannot control who lives there once her beneficiary gets title to the property. She'd likely have better success with this by creating a trust for the home instead. She'd really want to consult an estate planning attorney in her state to get this right if it's important to her.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I don't believe that would be enforceable. Once someone owns a property it is theirs to do as they please. There can be conditions tied to ownership, such as what happens when someone buys property within an HOA, but I don't believe trying to say that someone can only inherit if a specific individual never lives on the property is actually enforceable.

However the person who wishes to put conditions on an inheritance would be best served by consulting an attorney in the area where they are located.

Just Blue

Whether the codicil to the will would be effective depends on exactly how the codicil is written and the applicable state law, and you've not provided either piece of information. However, the condition that someone else never live in it is likely to be a problem since generally she cannot control who lives there once her beneficiary gets title to the property. She'd likely have better success with this by creating a trust for the home instead. She'd really want to consult an estate planning attorney in her state to get this right if it's important to her.
Per their thread down the street the state is New Jersey.

Thank you, I don’t believe it’s actually been written yet, just an idea for now, so I do not have that for you, sorry. And the state is New Jersey.

Per their thread down the street the state is New Jersey.
Yes, sorry for the repeat posts, I did post in a number of places because being new to all of them I didn’t know how quickly I would receive a response, and the question fascinates me. Indeed the state is New Jersey.

zddoodah

Is this legal?
It's not illegal. However, once property is transferred in the administration of a decedent's estate, the executor of the estate has no control over what happens to the property. As a practical matter, the only way for the present owner of the property to do something like this in a way that would be enforceable would be to put the property in a trust.

LdiJ

It's not illegal. However, once property is transferred in the administration of a decedent's estate, the executor of the estate has no control over what happens to the property. As a practical matter, the only way for the present owner of the property to do something like this in a way that would be enforceable would be to put the property in a trust.
And...the trust would have to be the long term (possibly permanent) owner of the property and the beneficiary would only have the right to live in the property as long as they followed the rules, and the rules and the consequences would have to be clearly spelled out. The trust would also have to spell out alternate beneficiaries should the original one not follow the rules and details surrounding those.

I kind of think that would be an impractical trust unless the trust was also funded with enough cash to maintain the property on a. long term basis...and pay a professional trustee to manage the trust. All in all, I think its a bad and impractical idea.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
one solution would be to put the property in trust, with instructions for the trustee to sell the property, giving the proceeds to the desired beneficiary
That's little different in outcome than putting the same instructions in a will — and in any event wouldn't accomplish the testator's/settlor's desire to give the home to the beneficiary but at the same time keep out the unwanted person.

TrustUser

That's little different in outcome than putting the same instructions in a will — and in any event wouldn't accomplish the testator's/settlor's desire to give the home to the beneficiary but at the same time keep out the unwanted person.
yes, it was posited as a realistic compromise. the desired beneficiary would get the benefit of the value of the home, without the other person having any benefit from it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">