• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cold Calling Taken to the Next Level

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada

So I got a call yesterday afternoon at work, and here's how it went:

Me: "Hello, eerelations speaking."

Caller: "Hi I'm calling on behalf of Nesbitt-Burns [large investment firm - not one I use] and I'd like to set up an appointment for you with one of our investment managers to discuss your personal investment portfolio. This appointment can be at our office or in your home, whatever is convenient for you."

Me: "So, this is a personal call, for me personally, not for me as a representative of my company?"

Caller: "Yes, this is about your personal investment portfolio, nothing to do with your company."

Me: "You know my personal phone number is on the government 'do not call' list?"

Caller: "Yes we know that, that's why we're calling you at work."

:eek: Hope this isn't the start of a trend...

sandyclaus

Do you have your own dedicated extension at work?

I wonder if the National DO NOT CALL list is limited only to one's personal phone number. What would happen if one registered their WORK phone numbers? Is that even possible?

justalayman

got to admit they are smooth.

So, did you set up an appointment you don't intend on keeping? I would set an appointment and if I remembered about 5 minutes before it, call and cancel for some BS reason. Make a new appointment. Call and cancel. Repeat until they pay you to quit setting appointments swearing each and every time you really do intend on making the next appointment.

I don't know if his schpeels are real or not but Tom Mabe has some hilarious humor for telemarketers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s898wpcgcJM

this one is priceless. Ya got to listen for the "if I got the paperwork out to you, say, this afternoon, do you think you could hold off until tomorrow? (speaking of Tom contemplating suicide)" Now, that is smooth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">