• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting on a judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Maryland

I took my former landlord to court for not returning my security deposit. I won the case and was awarded three times the amount of the deposit with interest and court costs. A judgement was placed against him. He then presented a motion to vacate the judgement and it was subsequently denied by the District Court. I know that my next step in collecting the money is to proceed with garnishment and attachment but I am wondering if, now that he has exhausted all his avenues of delaying payment and has a judgement on his record, would it be a bad idea to write him and suggest that he pay me in full to satisfy the judgement and thus avoid garnishment. He has a good job and I have all the information I need in order to do that but this has dragged on now for almost a year. He is not the sort of landlord to quit his job to avoid garnishment. He has a family and has been at the insurance firm where he works for a long time. He's just lazy and thought he could get away with it.


Senior Member
Certainly, make every effort to try to enforce the judgment with as little cost (and ordeal) as possible. Remember, when you write him, be professional, don't 'gloat' and simply explain that by paying you now, he will save himself (in costs incurred and interest).

And you have a fairly substantial 'card' to play if needed. Since he has rental property, I assume that it is not his homestead. And if not, then it could be seized and sold at auction!!!


Latest chapter in Judgement

I just received a notice from my former landlord that he has requested the court to reconsider vacating the judgement because he never received notice of the trial date. He claims the court mispelled his last name causing the notice to be lost in the mail. This is the same story he gave when he asked for the original vacate and was denied. I do not expect the court to reconsider since this is a flimsy reason especially since it was he who requested a postponement of the original court date and then failed to appear at the rescheduled one. My question is how many more motions, requests, appeals can he use until I can finally begin to collect on the judgment? I had planned to write him and request that we settle this to avoid garnishment but now he has made this motion and I guess I have to wait to see if it is granted or denied.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential