• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting SS Benefits - Can Employer Cut My Pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

From the first post:
I stand corrected

a person does not have to collect SS at full retirement age. It is actually financial rewarding to wait. You will recieve 132% of the full benefit amount if you wait until you are 70.

Op said he became of age and filed for benefits 3 months ago. It’s a bit too coincidental that the pay reduction comes right about the time op is expecting their first ss check.

And of course the employer knows how old the op is. It’s in their personnel file. So why didn’t the employer reduce pay 3 months ago when op did reach full benefit age?

The only reasonable explanation is SSA contacted the employer.

PayrollHRGuy

First, your statement doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Then, gender or sex is irrelevent.

So, sexual harassment is the act that is illegal. It is always illegal. It can’t be maybe legal under certain circumstances or if everybody is sexually harassed.

It is not illegal to be over 40
It is not illegal to take an action against somebody over 40 unless it is taken due to their age
If an employer takes an action against all employees regardless of age, it cannot be age discriminating.

There is simply no comparison to your poorly worded scenario and reviewing some act and determining whether it is,illegal age discrimination or not
My comparison was in direct response to your post ...

"But the fact remains your pay wasn’t cut when you were 1 year younger, or 2 years younger."

That implies there was some sort of time limit involved and there isn't.

justalayman

My comparison was in direct response to your post ...

"But the fact remains your pay wasn’t cut when you were 1 year younger, or 2 years younger."

That implies there was some sort of time limit involved and there isn't.
My point was that the employer could have cut his pay at any time. The fact is he cut the pay when the discovery of the additional income became known. That suggests it has nothing to do with his age but only the fact op has a second income. Ergo not illegal age discrimination. .

There is a difference between he cut the pay because op is old and he cut the pay and the op happens to be old. One is illegal, the other isn’t.

In a sexual harassment suit, if there is sexual harassment, it is illegal. There is no condition that can change that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">