• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collection agency doesn't want payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sbjaj

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I have some medical bill that have gone to collection. I have offered to make monthly payments but they want it all now or in a couple of payments. I am financialy unable to pay it in one or two payments. I have offered to make payments and resolve the balance in three months time.
I was told by a friend that if the collection agency refuses to accept payments that the debt would be nulllified. I don't know if this is true or not.
Do I have to pay it all at once? What if they won't take payments, is the debt nullified?
Thanks for the help in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sbjaj said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
I have some medical bill that have gone to collection. I have offered to make monthly payments but they want it all now or in a couple of payments. I am financialy unable to pay it in one or two payments. I have offered to make payments and resolve the balance in three months time.
I was told by a friend that if the collection agency refuses to accept payments that the debt would be nulllified. I don't know if this is true or not.
Do I have to pay it all at once? What if they won't take payments, is the debt nullified?
Thanks for the help in advance.

My response:

Tell your "friend" that I said she's about as stupid as a pail of rocks.

If you don't pay, you'll be sued. The plaintiff will obtain a judgment, and thereafter garnish your wages, empty your bank accounts, or place a lien on your home, or anything else legally within their power to get all their money, including interest, court costs and attorney's fees.

Nullified. How dumb is that?

IAAL

djohnson

Simply, your friend is wrong. If that was the truth then everyone would be doing it everywhere. You owe the money and they have the right to set the terms. If you don't then they options available to them. They may take it to court and get a judgment which would allow them to garnish your wages, bank accounts, or lein on any property. If what you are saying is true, however, I don't understand why they aren't taking it. Three months is usually standard what they ask for. Unless it is really old or a returned check or you have defaulted in payments with them before, there must be more on why they won't take it.

Ladynred

Telling you they won't take payments is typical arm-twisting BS from a collection agency - especially since its mid-month and collector's have quotas to make by month end. They will almost ALWAYS tell you they can't/won't take payments and most of the time they're lying thru their teeth.

Make up a written payment proposal and mail it to them, certified, RRR. That gives you a paper trail if they ever DO sue you and try to claim in court you refused to pay. As DJ said, 3 months is usually acceptable, they're just trying to squeeze you because that's what they do. Collectors have the attitude that everyone is a deadbeat and everyone HAS money but just won't pay - they're brainwashed.

I suggest you read up on the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), it is the law that collectors are bound by and most will break the law to collect.

You can find it at www.ftc.gov under Consumer Credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">