• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection of returned check after 10yrs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danelle0422

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My question is... I live in Louisiana and filed CH. 7 BK last year. It has been discharged. for over 1 yr now. I work in the legal field. Several years ago(over 10) I used to live in FL. (husband was military.) When we moved and closed our bank accounts we thought all of our checks were taken care of. We doubled checked everything. No one ever sent us any letters stating other wise until NOW. Over 10 yrs. later I get a letter stating that I had a returned check. So, even though maybe the statued has passed. I pay it. Then I get a call tonight saying that even though I have paid it, They now want me to pay for civil suit issues in regards to this. I told them no, I was not because, I had paid the amount plus the NSF fee from 10yrs ago. And that legally the statued had run, and that I didn't necessarilly have to even pay them, but I did. Was I right in telling them this. Or is this something I should be concerned with. Please let me know. Thank you.

PS. THE COMPANY IS JBC & ASSOCIATES. THEY CLAIM THEY ARE A LAW FIRM. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THEM NOR HAS ANY ONE IN MY FIRM>

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">