• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lylliane_99

What is the name of your state?Arkansas

I moved out of an apartment in July 2002. I had been living there with my x and my lease was set to expire in August 2002. I am in the military and military housing opened up so I brought the manager a memo asking to be released from my lease a month early. She agreed. I moved out of the apartment and into my house on base in July 02.
My ex, however, paid her an extra 1/2 months rent and continued to live there until the middle of July. He was not on the lease, as when we moved in we were told "not to worry about that".
Anyway, I turned in my keys and moved out. The manager kept my security deposit ($200) and I thought that was fine, as I was being released from the lease a month early.
In Oct 02 I get a letter from the apartment saying I owed $195 for changing the locks and cleaning the apartment. In Jan 03 I get a call from a collection agency saying I owe them $490. I went back and forth with them, they told me they couldn't tell me what the charges were for, that I had to write them a letter of dispute and wait 30 days, and that I couldn't call the apartment complex to see what the charges were for as they held the debt now. I finally talked to a "manager" who said my best was to just pay them and sue the apartment complex for the money.

I'm confused. This is on my credit report and I don't know what to do about it. Oh yea, and I sent them their "letter of dispute". Nothing has been done, but now they are using my address and getting my neighbors phone #'s and calling them and saying that they need to speak to me and it is urgent.

What can I do about this to get them to tell me I why it is $490? And is it true that I should just pay it and sue the apartment complex to try to get it back? I just want this crap off of my credit report.....

Last edited:

Ladynred

Did you request VALIDATION of the debt or did you just dispute the amount ??
Send them a validation letter - they have to cough up an accounting of the balance. Have you even tried to talk to the apt complex manager ? Just because a collection agency tells you not to, doesn't mean you can't !

You can find more info on valdation at www.creditinfocenter.com along with sample letters.

L

lylliane_99

I just sent them a letter disputing the debt...but not anything official. Just wrote something to them explaining the situation, but I am sure they just trashed that. And I DID think that just because they said I couldn't talk to the apartment manager that I couldn't. But :D , not anymore!

Thank you, Ladynred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">