• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

college costs for never married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeastman

What is the name of your state?Ohio
I was never married to my son's father, so there was never a divorce agreement. Our support agreement doesn't mention college costs. Can I take him back to court for a portion of my sons college costs that are not covered by financial aid? What are my chances of success?

Silverplum

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So what's the rest of the story? You don't want Dad to have custody if you die, but you have no qualms about having him pay for college? Do you see any disconnect there?

BelizeBreeze

jeastman said:
I was never married to my son's father, so there was never a divorce agreement. Our support agreement doesn't mention college costs. Can I take him back to court for a portion of my sons college costs that are not covered by financial aid? What are my chances of success?
How old is your son?
What does the support agreement state as to extras?
Is he currently paying support or has it ended?

Bweick

Why?

I am not sure that ANY state orders married parents to pay for childrens college tuition so why is it fair to order divorced parents to pay for it? If you are/were still receiving child support while your son is/was in college then that should be considered his contribution towards the cost. Did you or your son involve him in the college selection process or ask if his employer or other affiliations had any scholarships that could be applied for? Be proud of the fact that YOU were able to help (I am assuming you contributed) and get on with it.

February2003

I've always heard that a child is not entitled to a college education, and that is why it is not required that parents pay for or it split it.

A child is entitled to food, clothes, etc.... but not a college education.

I can understand that train of thought.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, there are situations where providing a college education is warranted. But they're few and far between. Even so, I find it somewhat hypocritical that in one post OP is concerned that *gasp* Dad may automatically get custody if she dies, but in another wants to know how to force him to pay for college. Uuuuuuuh, that's just wrong.

haiku

if he is good enough to contribute financially he should be good enough to be a dad in all sense of the word.....

My remark is why should a father or mother get out of helping financially with college if they are divorced?I donot believe any 18 or 19 year old teen ager should be saddled with a $40-$100.000 looming college tution. If this student has made good grades and is a good student. She/HE is entitled ,perhaps not legally in some states but entitled non the less for some help from both parents. The argument that "married couples do not HAVE to contribute,why should separated or divorced parents?" doesn't make any sense. If the couple were still married ,they WOULD contribute. Colleges use the parents income and expect some financial contribution from the couple.The national FASFA takes into account both parents income.Don't talk to me about all the great financial aid pkgs or the great scholarships. They are not avaliable to that many ,unless you are a foot ball player or the like. For the typical A or B student, even with what is avaliable College is a huge expense.Yes there are work studies and I agree students should help as they can too,but parents can help some also (both of the parents) Thank GOD some states understand that 18 is not a feasable emancipation for alot of kids.Let there guidelines to follow ,but to get ahead and make a decent living a post high school education is needed.

Bweick

College obligations

The point is not whether parents should contibute or not contribute but being forced by the courts to contribute. Since the majority of divorces are not amicable, it is safe to say that the custodial parent and the child would be making the decisions on which university to attend and therefore "sticking" the non-custodial parent (also the one paying CS) with 1/3 of the bill. Lets say the payor of CS is paying $8000.00 a year. When that child goes off to college, the $8000.00 should go towards that childs college education and not in the custodial parents pocket. Every situation is different and a good parent whether the custodial or non-custodial parent should want to help with their childs continued education, but to be FORCED to pay along with continuing support is a bit ridiculous.

haiku

username43 said:
My remark is why should a father or mother get out of helping financially with college if they are divorced?I donot believe any 18 or 19 year old teen ager should be saddled with a $40-$100.000 looming college tution. If this student has made good grades and is a good student. She/HE is entitled ,perhaps not legally in some states but entitled non the less for some help from both parents. The argument that "married couples do not HAVE to contribute,why should separated or divorced parents?" doesn't make any sense. If the couple were still married ,they WOULD contribute. Colleges use the parents income and expect some financial contribution from the couple.The national FASFA takes into account both parents income.Don't talk to me about all the great financial aid pkgs or the great scholarships. They are not avaliable to that many ,unless you are a foot ball player or the like. For the typical A or B student, even with what is avaliable College is a huge expense.Yes there are work studies and I agree students should help as they can too,but parents can help some also (both of the parents) Thank GOD some states understand that 18 is not a feasable emancipation for alot of kids.Let there guidelines to follow ,but to get ahead and make a decent living a post high school education is needed.
this. is. funny.

VeronicaGia

username43 said:
If the couple were still married ,they WOULD contribute. .
Now, that IS funny! Oh, really? My parents never did. My siblings have kids, are still married, yet they don't contribute. Many married couples don't contribute. So, what is your point again?

MtnMoon

College expenses...a hot issue...

jeastman said:
Here is the website for Ohio State Statutes: http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

Unfortunately, Ohio does not appear to address the issue in connection with child support issues. If you do not have an agreement with your son's father regarding higher education expenses, it's doubtful you would be able to obtain legal assistance in the matter.

The subject of college expenses is a hot one. I am currently persuing avenues to ensure my ex will assist in paying our child's college expenses...however...he has been involved in the evaluations of the schools as well as the selection of the school our child is planning to attend...splitting college application fees with me...researching grants, scholarships, financial aid, and loan options...and things you would expect a father to do when he is interested in helping out with college. Although we have an oral agreement...and we have communicated via letters with regard to the matter...we do not have a formal stipulation in our original child support order which addresses college expenses. There has been a substantial change of circumstance recently which allows for an Order to Show Cause hearing; therefore, I am planning to ask the judge to consider additional child support for college expenses at that time as well...in light of the fact that my ex and I have an agreement.

The original order is from CA and does not prohibit additional child support after our child reaches the age of majority,...and according to the State Statutes, the Court reserves the power to inquire about such agreements...and may order additional child support for expenses related to education. This seems to be a strong case for modification. I am not seeking a judgment forcing my ex to pay for everything... I want us to split all college expenses...just as we have agreed. And if the Court deems it fair to order the additional child support...then in the best interest of my child...let it be so. I would view the issue much differently had my ex and I not agreed...and I wager the Court would view it much differently as well...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Even tho FAFSA takes parents' income into account, this does not mean that the parents are required to contribute. And many do not - married or not.

Our order makes the ex 100% responsible for all college-related expenses (there are reasons for this, and it was his idea - though he's tried to squirrel out of it), for a 4-year degree at a school the three of us agree upon. We've got a few years to go, but I've already been encouraging both kids to keep their sights on scholarship opportunities and I've been exploring ways to decrease the expense. And needless to say, I'm more than willing to contribute to my ability.

MtnMoon

The bigger picture...

stealth2 said:
Even tho FAFSA takes parents' income into account, this does not mean that the parents are required to contribute. And many do not - married or not.

Our order makes the ex 100% responsible for all college-related expenses (there are reasons for this, and it was his idea - though he's tried to squirrel out of it), for a 4-year degree at a school the three of us agree upon. We've got a few years to go, but I've already been encouraging both kids to keep their sights on scholarship opportunities and I've been exploring ways to decrease the expense. And needless to say, I'm more than willing to contribute to my ability.
It makes a huge difference when both of the parents and the child work together toward deciding which school the child will attend. And if the parents have an agreement with regard to college expenses...then an agreement is an agreement and it should be enforcable according to law. It is commendable when children accept their responsibility and work toward obtaining grants and scholarships. ;)

I've always felt a responsibility and an obligation toward assisting in paying for my child's higher education. I did not have the advantage of having any of my college expenses paid for by my parents. That's why I have student loans...and thank goodness I was able to get them so that I didn't touch the money I saved for my child's college expenses. In turn, I hope my child will do the same for my future grandchildren and make sure a college education is possible for them.

My philosophy has been that if a parent is at all capable of contributing toward higher education, then he/she should do so. I feel it's more than just me being a mom looking out for her kid... I feel that helping my child attain a college education will in turn be a positive thing not just for my child...but for society as well. My child plans on becoming a surgeon. Lately I have been considering what that means. In reflection, I feel a responsibility and an obligation that reaches far beyond my family... It's been through my own higher education that I have been able to view things in this light.

Now...when the shock hits of how much textbooks are going to be for the fall semester...I might have to think about how my child is going to be saving lives in the future and how it's all worth it... Besides...we can always search for used textbooks on the Internet! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">