• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commercial Cleaning Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

But there WAS a meeting of the minds when the contract was signed. The change happened later.
My understanding from reading the posts is that the OP signed the contract with a three year term, and then the client changed the contract when they signed it later, to make it a one year term. So, no meeting of the minds.

Now, if they were in the same room and signed at the same time, and then the client altered the contract after the fact, then I agree with you. However, that is not the way that the OP's post's read to me. I do not think that the OP has a contract copy with BOTH signatures and a non altered 3 year term.

You didn't ask a question, so I'm unsure what the purpose of your post is.

Are you employed by the commercial cleaning company? Or are you employed by the other party to the contract?

Reviewed by whom? Reviewed for what purpose?

So...after you signed the contract, someone altered it? Who did this, and how did you discover it? You retained a copy of the contract as it was when you signed it, right?
Correct, after I signed the contract, it was altered by the company representative. After I signed the contract agreeing to the terms, it then needed to be signed by their company leadership. After it was signed by their company leadership and forwarded back to me for my records, I reviewed the contract again to ensure nothing changed. During my review, I noticed that the term of service was "scratched" out and changed to 1 year vs. the 3 years I signed. I also noticed that the change was not dated and initialed and it wasn't brought to my attention that the change had been made.

Yes, I do have a copy of the contract I signed and sent back to the company for their signature which shows where I signed indicating a 3 year term.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh brother - it's unfortunate that you are so vague in your posting and that you omit important information. I'm out.

quincy

Correct, after I signed the contract, it was altered by the company representative. After I signed the contract agreeing to the terms, it then needed to be signed by their company leadership. After it was signed by their company leadership and forwarded back to me for my records, I reviewed the contract again to ensure nothing changed. During my review, I noticed that the term of service was "scratched" out and changed to 1 year vs. the 3 years I signed. I also noticed that the change was not dated and initialed and it wasn't brought to my attention that the change had been made.

Yes, I do have a copy of the contract I signed and sent back to the company for their signature which shows where I signed indicating a 3 year term.
While “specific performance” is a legal remedy that can be sought when a contract is breached, you noticed immediately that there was a change in the terms and you chose to move ahead with the employment. You should have addressed the change at that time. Instead you waited one year, when your contract was being terminated, to point out this change.

I am not convinced that the 1 and 3 year mentions in the contract had to do with the length of your service contract anyway, at least based on your minimum quote of the contract.

Review the contract in its entirety with an attorney in your area. Based on the limited information you have provided, I do not see that you have a legal action to pursue.

zddoodah

after I signed the contract, it was altered by the company representative. After I signed the contract agreeing to the terms, it then needed to be signed by their company leadership. After it was signed by their company leadership and forwarded back to me for my records, I reviewed the contract again to ensure nothing changed. During my review, I noticed that the term of service was "scratched" out and changed to 1 year vs. the 3 years I signed. I also noticed that the change was not dated and initialed and it wasn't brought to my attention that the change had been made.
OK...please fill in the following dates:

• ____________: You signed the contract and transmitted the contract with your signature to the other party.
  • ____________: You received the altered, fully-executed contract from the other party.

Please also describe the conversation that occurred between you and the representative of the other party that I assume took place after you received the altered, fully-executed contract.

Last edited:

quincy

I am not sure that this has been clarified yet, either: Who actually created the contract, the cleaning company (i.e., Kmarie) or the business hiring the cleaning service?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">