• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commercial noise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Or...I don't know....Call the flipping owner and let him know that is a problem. The owner likely doesn't know there is an issue.

quincy

A private nuisance claim is a possibility that could be discussed with an attorney.

The result could be the business having to more carefully control noise outside normal business hours and possibly having to construct a noise barrier.

Nana S

I apologize if my response did not seem cordial. I was honestly curious what you saw as a solution.

Noise barriers tend to be the most common solutions to noise problems. For example, you said your neighbors have tree barriers that block the sounds. Walls generally work well, too. Apparently neither of these common solutions will work for you, however.

You have already said that your city council is unhelpful and will ignore your concerns.

I see no law you can invoke other than the noise ordinance.

So ... you should try to work directly with the business, to see if their current operations on their property can be changed so you can enjoy your property once again.

Good luck.
No offense, it's all good. Just wondering tho - last time I checked we all still had SOME rights and one of those was the reasonable and peaceful right to enjoy our homes. Has that right been taken away or trashed without my knowledge ?? Has that been tossed aside to make way for progress ?? When I was growing up, in my neighborhood, no one so much as started a lawnmower before 10am. It may have not been an ordinance, but all of us had a mutual respect and common consideration for our neighbors, for each other. I don't expect them to be held to that same unwritten code - that's for sure, but a little respect and common consideration for us little peons goes a long way - and should still be the norm. If they have a business that makes such noise - so early, continuous and ALL day ( 6 days a week) ?? Perhaps they could have used a little respect and common consideration and located their expansion on that property where it wouldn't be a nuisance to anyone. After all, they have over 200 acres !!! There are no neighbors or residents on 3 sides of that property - but they chose to expand directly behind my home. For sure I will have a conversation with them and see if there is anything that can be done, but this is no small project or expansion and I am quite sure I will be told there is nothing that CAN or will be done. Thanks for your input - it is always appreciated.

Nana S

Or...I don't know....Call the flipping owner and let him know that is a problem. The owner likely doesn't know there is an issue.
Yea - I am sure he has NO IDEA that caterpillars, dump trucks, back up beepers........ going non stop, 6 days a week - is bothering anyone at all !!! I am sure he is clueless. smh But I plan on talking to the flipping owner anyways, tho I am sure I will be told there is nothing that can be done and I am S.O.O.L !!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yea - I am sure he has NO IDEA that caterpillars, dump trucks, back up beepers........ going non stop, 6 days a week - is bothering anyone at all !!! I am sure he is clueless. smh But I plan on talking to the flipping owner anyways, tho I am sure I will be told there is nothing that can be done and I am S.O.O.L !!!!
Wow...just wow.
Yes, it's entirely possible that the owner/management has no idea of the full impact on the neighbors. I say this from the perspective as high-level manager in a heavy manufacturing facility with neighbors close by.

Nana S

Wow...just wow.
Yes, it's entirely possible that the owner/management has no idea of the full impact on the neighbors. I say this from the perspective as high-level manager in a heavy manufacturing facility with neighbors close by.
Maybe you're right - but I highly doubt it. It is DEAD silent - and then the banging and clanging and beeping begins. They have to know it is loud when they are the only sound around. Sound carries pretty far when it is silent. Especially when it is 5,6 or 7 a.m. !!!! Either way, I plan on talking to the owner just for s & g. I foresee it being a waste of time, but hey - maybe you are right !!! Wouldn't that be fantastic if they were clueless and feel bad and move their operations elsewhere on the property to avoid being a nuisance ??

PayrollHRGuy

If neither you nor anyone else has complained about the noise to them and they haven't been to your house they likely don't know.

LdiJ

I'm sure the management understands how loud their operations are. I am just not convinced that they realize the impact that it's having.
They also may be so used to the noise themselves, that they don't really notice it. Years ago when an interstate highway was built just a few blocks from my house the noise from the traffic seemed horribly loud. I don't even notice it anymore.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They also may be so used to the noise themselves, that they don't really notice it. Years ago when an interstate highway was built just a few blocks from my house the noise from the traffic seemed horribly loud. I don't even notice it anymore.
I don't disagree with you about getting used to the noise...but I will say that the upper management/owner of a noise-producing business is generally aware of it. Speaking from experience (with the tinnitus to back it up).

Nana S

I have had company over and they asked what in the hell is that ??? And that is them hearing the banging and clanging INDOORS !!!! They start their machinery and operations ( outdoors) whenever they feel like it. 5:30 am . 6:15 am ... we have noise ordinances, but they chose to ignore them. KIND OF tells me they really don't give a chit about anyone in the area. Regardless, I am going to share my experience with the owner and see what happens. I highly doubt they will do anything at all. The only solution would be to move their expanded area somewhere else - and I would bet $50 they aren't going to budge.

quincy

I have had company over and they asked what in the hell is that ??? And that is them hearing the banging and clanging INDOORS !!!! They start their machinery and operations ( outdoors) whenever they feel like it. 5:30 am . 6:15 am ... we have noise ordinances, but they chose to ignore them. KIND OF tells me they really don't give a chit about anyone in the area. Regardless, I am going to share my experience with the owner and see what happens. I highly doubt they will do anything at all. The only solution would be to move their expanded area somewhere else - and I would bet $50 they aren't going to budge.
If you are filing noise complaints with the city, it is possible that the company is being fined each time for their noise violations and/or they have been given time to remedy the problem. For the company, it might be a matter of cost versus benefit, with the benefit of continuing on their current course weighing more heavily than the fines.

The problem with the possible actions you can take, including filing nuisance complaints, is that you have already said only one solution would work - and that is for them to move their operations elsewhere. I honestly don't know if they realistically can be forced to do that. A noise barrier (which you say is not possible) and controlling their hours of operation (which they should be doing already) are the realistic options.

I hope you can find an amicable solution with the company owner. Good luck.

Nana S

If you are filing noise complaints with the city, it is possible that the company is being fined each time for their noise violations and/or they have been given time to remedy the problem. For the company, it might be a matter of cost versus benefit, with the benefit of continuing on their current course weighing more heavily than the fines.

The problem with the possible actions you can take, including filing nuisance complaints, is that you have already said only one solution would work - and that is for them to move their operations elsewhere. I honestly don't know if they realistically can be forced to do that. A noise barrier (which you say is not possible) and controlling their hours of operation (which they should be doing already) are the realistic options.

I hope you can find an amicable solution with the company owner. Good luck.
Thanks !!!!!! I agree and WISH there were other solutions but it is impossible to build a barrier that tall, and I already know they won't move to another part of their acreage. Pretty sure I am stuck in misery !!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">