• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Break Up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Irishhound

What is the name of your state? Maine
I have split up with my other half and no longer wish too have nothing to do with him. We were thought to be in a common law marriage when we lived in Rhode Island. He is giving me a very hard time and won't stop bothering me saying that we are married. I called the State office in RI and they have no record of a common law marriage between us. I do believe that the person who did our ceremony was only a Notary. Is this my loophole that I need, because this person wasn't a Justice of the Peace, just a Notary? If so, would this mean that I can move on without any complications?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Maine
I have split up with my other half and no longer wish too have nothing to do with him. We were thought to be in a common law marriage when we lived in Rhode Island. He is giving me a very hard time and won't stop bothering me saying that we are married. I called the State office in RI and they have no record of a common law marriage between us. I do believe that the person who did our ceremony was only a Notary. Is this my loophole that I need, because this person wasn't a Justice of the Peace, just a Notary? If so, would this mean that I can move on without any complications?What is the name of your state?
You honestly need to consult an attorney in RI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">