• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

community service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gadui

What is the name of your state? GA

My appointment to see my probation officer is not until Aug 10, so I thought I'd ask the question here....
Does anyone know if the type of community service I do is something I can select or is it chosen/arranged by my probation officer? I went on volunteermatch.org and found some things that I would like to do, but some of them are available to do before my Aug 10 appointment. If I do them, do you think my PO will count them toward my 40 hours?

It depends on how your state does it. Your state may have organizations that it requires you to choose from, and probably has certain types of work that qualify. Or as in my state, I can choose what I want to do and who it's with a long as the kind of service work qualifies according to my state's definition of acceptable community service work. In my case, I did after hours computer support for a local church.

Ptorian

ComServ

More than likely you be allowed a variety of services from wich to choose. Helping out at the local GoodWill or Parks and Recreation center are usually good picks.

gadui

Animal Shelter

My first meeting with my PO is still about 12 days away, but I decided to be proactive and called the local animal shelter. Today I showed up (along with about 4-5 others) to do my first day of community service. The animal shelter had a form to fill out and provided me with a time sheet that I can show my PO. If all goes as planned, I will have completed all of my 40 hours before my PO even sees me. I really just want this whole mess behind me.

Ptorian

Great!

What a great way to due your comserv and give back to the community. Sounds like you are on the right track.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I started my community service hours before my first meeting with my PO and they accepted my hours. It's important to track the hours, letting the organization superiors know why you are there and that you need for them to confirm in writing that they are the organization that fills the community service need, and to confirm the hours you work. Like some sports, whether it works or not is all in your approach. When you ask your PO about it, remember that he or she has lots of control over your probation. You can work together or against each other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">