• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Secret

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

I don't see how the State is relevant, #1. I didn't know this site is only for people that do not have an atty, #2. I have/had zero expectations, #3. Who is "we?" Do you own the site? :)rolleyes:)

I see this site as a place where lawyers can offer free legal advice so they can learn and be engaged with a number of different legal topics. You can comment or not.

And the info I provided is certainly enough to get a basic legal opinion. No legal agreements in place between me and the company. Not now or ever. Company secret. US Law. Pertains to the entire country, not state specific. What more is there?
Please read or REread, as the case may be, the TOS of Free Advice. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonKal

Really? How's that? Is it normal for a lawyer to make an argument without supporting it? How have I been unreasonable?

I wasn't "dumped" BTW, I resigned. Get your facts straight.

I'll look at the terms again and if I was not supposed to post here, I'll be happy to apologize. But there is no need for the superiority comments.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The state is relevant because different states have different laws.

And I don't believe one word you're saying.

Just Blue

Really? How's that? Is it normal for a lawyer to make an argument without supporting it? How have I been unreasonable?

I'll look at the terms again and if I was not supposed to post here, I'll be happy to apologize. But there is no need for the superiority comments.
Again...You are giving the VOLUNTEERS of this site minimal information and expecting us to provide case law. Yet...You have an attorney that has ALL FACTS of this case, including the flipping STATE (That you refuse to provide here). State+FACTS = Advice. :rolleyes:

Eekamouse

Just so we'e clear, folks, OP reports for deletion any response he doesn't like.

JasonKal

Really, so what, I'm just doing this, I just asked the question for the fun of it? Unfortunately there is no way for me to prove myself without exposing myself. That said, whether or not I'm telling the truth is irrelevant. It's a valid question. Most companies cover their asses with non-competes, employment agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc. I'm in a unique position because it was a family business, my family and the business was sold to a large national company so it's no longer in the family. I'm sure you can understand how a family member could get to a senior leadership position without signing one of these agreements. That's what happened. I could have stayed on with the new owners but they did something that violated the employment agreement I signed when they took over making that agreement null and void. It's then when I decided to exit the company because I didn't/don't trust them and why I would even consider doing something like this.

The bottom line is, the facts are simple and I've repeated them multiple times now. No agreements in place. Company secret. If revealed, what law would apply? Either someone here has the answer or not. If not, no need to comment. I never thought this would turn into what it became. I still view it as a legit business law question that any business law atty would want to know so you can protect your clients secrets. When you're talking a 100+ million dollar company, a lot is at stake.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is NOT believable that no non-disclosures were signed when the new company took over.

Sorry, not buying what you're selling for a second.

LdiJ

It is NOT believable that no non-disclosures were signed when the new company took over.

And even if we were considering buying your story, what state you are in matters...the laws vary from state to state. I do not know how many times you have to be told that.

And, if everyone in the company knows the secret recipe, down to the people who are paid 8.00 an hour, then I can guarantee that its already out there.

JasonKal

"Sorry, not buying what you're selling for a second"

If only I could bet you. Any amount you'd like! Put your money where your mouth is! I will have my atty friend contact you with proof. I will not reveal the details in a random online forum.

CBG, are you even a lawyer? Your profile says, "HR Consultant." Why are you even commenting at all? You don't have the answer and as far as I can tell you're not even an atty.

Is it normal to call people liars in this forum?

Why would anyone come here for advice?

And let me also clarify, nothing in the FreeAdvice policy precludes me from posting the question I posted. It's a valid legal question. Just because you can't answer the question, doesn't make it a bad question.

Just Blue

Except, as always, mine. I don't take it personally: I attribute the behavior to simple jealousy of my sparkling wit, flawless grammar, and mad research skills. Also, that my blunt manner pisses her off.

:cool:
Nahhh...The blunt manner is just an extra bonus!! Don't take it personally...I was asked to be nice. (though I thought, for the most part, I was nice to the hypothetical question OP) Perhaps Admin doesn't like Sam Adams!! :p

(JUST KIDDING!!):D

Just Blue

If only I could bet you. Any amount you'd like! Put your money where your mouth is! I will have my atty friend contact you with proof. I will not reveal the details in a random online forum.

CBG, are you even a lawyer? Your profile says, "HR Consultant." Why are you even commenting at all? You don't have the answer and as far as I can tell you're not even an atty.

And let me also clarify, nothing in the FreeAdvice policy precludes me from posting the question I posted. It's a valid legal question. Just because you can't answer the question, doesn't make it a bad question.
If the "issue" you have is so private that even posting the STATE is "dangerous"...Then the VOLUNTEERS of this site should not be advising you. Stick with your attorney.

REread the TOS. ;

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.

FreeAdviceFreeAdvice on TwitterFreeAdvice on FacebookFreeAdvice on Google+Law Advice
Insurance Advice
Legal Community / Forums
State Laws
Ask a Lawyer
Free Case Evaluation
Media
Contact Us
Editorial Staff
About Us
Site Map
Mobile Site

Use for marketing or solicitation is prohibited. AttorneyPages®, ExpertPages® and FreeAdvice® are trademarks and units of Advice Company

IMPORTANT NOTICE
FreeAdvice.com has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding information and "advice" free since 1995 with thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed articles, questions and answers in more than 100 categories in the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS AND OTHER FORUM PAGES WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM and are provided AS IS. The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. Use of the Forums is subject to our Disclaimer and our Terms and Conditions of use which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum is never a substitute for personal advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com. Copyright since 1995 by Advice Company. All Rights Reserved.

quincy

I don't see how the State is relevant, #1. ...

...No legal agreements in place between me and the company. Not now or ever. Company secret. US Law. Pertains to the entire country, not state specific. What more is there?
The state is relevant because the unauthorized disclosure or misappropriation of a trade secret can be a crime under state laws, as well as federal laws.

Even with no legal agreement signed and in place, courts recognize a "duty of trust" existing in some business relationships (a fiduciary relationship). If you were to disclose company secrets, the company could take you to court and be awarded damages based solely on this breach of duty. These are usually civil claims but criminal prosecutions are not unheard of.

You should consult with an attorney in your area who is well-versed in trade secret laws. The attorney will, no doubt, discourage you from publicly publishing the company recipe.

JasonKal

I think it's time for the site developers to add a feature so the so-called "advisers" can be rated.

And let me also clarify, nothing in the FreeAdvice policy precludes me from posting the question I posted. It's a valid legal question. Just because you can't answer the question, doesn't make it a bad question. So no apology.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">