• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Went out of Business Won't Pay Last Paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kooth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
My employer owned a franchise of restaurants, but due to unpaid bills the power was shut off resulting in the restaurants closing. My last day with the company was the 17th of November and I still have not received my paycheck of over $500. I have contacted my employer and told him I was going to be reporting him and he said he has no money and to go ahead because he will tell them the same thing. Is there any way to get the money I already worked hard for?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Besides not getting a paycheck, I would be wondering if they deposited the employee/employer taxes with the IRS.

I would be keeping all my paystubs at this time in case they don't issue w-2s.

pattytx

File the claim anyway. The state has ways of finding owners and getting funds that the rest of us common folk don't have. When you get the decision in your favor, ask the state for suggestions on how to get a judgment and collect. Depending on the type of formation of the business, you may be able to go after him personally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">