• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compensation for contractor negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgar78

What is the name of your state? PA

We just had a recent roof replacement on our home. We payed a downpayment for supplies, and were to pay the remaining balance upon completion. They began the demo on a Friday and a nor'easter was forecasted for Saturday (which was discussed prior to starting thie job), and I was reassured multiple times that the exposed roof areas would be secured with tarps, and there would not be any issues. I awoke at 2am in the morning to water pouring into my living room, and there were water damages in another bedroom and in the basement. We secured the areas the best way possible with trash cans and towels. I immediateley called the contractor and they sent their workers out the next morning around 10am to secure the tarps. Long story short, the following Wednesday since there was no discussion from the company owner regarding repairs, we decided to file an insurance claim, get immediate water remediation on our house, and go through our insurance for the repairs. My insurance company will pursue their insurance company to recover payment on these repairs and our deductible.

After the roof was completed, the company served us with the remaining balance for the roof. We questioned if any compensation would be given off the bill for the avoidable inconvenience and their negligence. They deducted $350, not at all what we anticipated. Do we have grounds to pursue a small claim lawsuit for the inconvenience and hardship endured?

adjusterjack

Sorry to have to tell you this, but nobody ever gets any money for inconvenience on property claims.

Your insurance paid for the damage. The contractor completed the roof per the contract.

Unless your inconvenience translated into dollars spent on something you wouldn't have had to incur were it not for the damage, you really have nothing to sue for and probably wouldn't win.

If you don't like the amount of the discount, ask for more, at least for the amount of your deductible. If the contractor won't budge, sue if you like, but I don't see you winning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">