• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of Interest for Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LindaMcManus

While working as an independent contractor (CA) for a corporation, I referred them to my attorney for a personal matter that involved the Executive Director. After that personal matter was settled, the Exec. Dir. took it upon herself to acquire my attorney as the corporations attorney. She then proceeded to have contracts drawn up for all of the independent contractors (which of course included myself). Is there a conflict of interest since it was my attorney first and consequently I did not feel that I could get the same service from my attorney in reviewing my contract since she is the one who drew it up? If there is a conflict of interest, what recourse do I have?

A

Attorney_Replogle

You do not have the conflict of interest, the lawyer does. If he or she has been retained by the corporation, his or her devotion is the company. Regardless of whether you had previously used that attorney's services. Your remedy is to have a different attorney review the paperwork.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">