• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused on child support order.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SisterSavior

What is the name of your state?alabama
Ok the legal services i go through said that more than likely at end of jan the decree will be final and that child support through court will be set up through my ex to be's work .they said i should get something in feb for support but am confused cause in papers it just states 1000 (250 a week)and they explained depend on how his works does it .they said that his work can take it out 250 a week and near end of month turn in the whole as full support payment but am confused cause i thought that meant that it would be till march that i get a payment they said no it should be in feb :S when i get first check.can someone relate how all this works please.

SisterSavior

:eek: sorry that sounds confusing the way i put it i..Simply asked is if decree ANd child wupport orders are in pplace at end of jan when is his work obligetd to have the first month child support sent in?expecially if was set up 250 a week. :S

VeronicaGia

The support is $1,000 a month. If he gets paid weekly, his employer can take it out at $250/week. If he is paid twice a month, the employer can take it out at $500/check. In any event, it is $1,000 a month and the employer is under no obligation other than to send in a check monthly for $1,000.

Your post is confusing and if that is not what you were asking, you may want to edit your post so it makes more sense.

dgingrich

confused on child support

The way it works in PA is: If you are awarded 1000.00 per month in CS, they take it and times it by 12 (mos.) and divide that amout (12,000.00) by 52 weeks, which would bring your actual support to 230.77 per week. Good luck to you.

SisterSavior

TY all .. yes that is mostly what i was asking and i am just confused on if the order is started in beginning of feb does that not make it till march till i recieve anything?

Phnx02

Your question is still a bit confusing.....please do a spell check before you post......Most new orders do not designate a specific date during the following month that the first payment is to be taken out of his check......it usually just says something like "beginning in February 2005".....although the courts have ordered payments to begin in a specific month (usually within 30 days), when you receive your first garnishment depends on a few things. First, it takes time for the court order to be sent and received by his employer....if it's received on the 16th for example, and your ex gets paid on the 15th, then it's too late for the employer to take out money from that check. In this case, the next paycheck you can expect money to be taken out of, and sent to you, would be the next payday - say the 30th - if he's paid bi-weekly or twice a month like most people. The employer can only start the garnishment for the payday following receipt of the order. Under normal circumstances, if the courts said CS is to be paid starting in the month of February, but money isn't taken out of his check until the last week or two of the month, then he is personally responsible for paying you on his own for the days/weeks missed from the 1rst of the month.
Most orders that are sent to employers tell the employer to garnish a certain amount (based on the total monthly amount ordered) according to how often he is paid. For example, if he's ordered to pay $1,000 a month and he gets paid every week, then the employer must garnish $250 from each paycheck. If he gets paid bi-weekly, then the employer must garnish $500 from each paycheck. The total monthly amount ordered is divided by how may times/how often he gets paid for the month. Whether the employer sends you the money right after each withholding, or "holds" all of it until the total amount for the month is collected - is up to the employer - unless stated otherwise in your order. If it's not stated, you could politely ask the employer to please send payment ASAP after each paycheck withheld - this way if he's paid bi-weekly, you can expect 2 seperate checks a month.

SisterSavior

thanks ! and sorry about all the typos .My fingers have a mind of there own sometimes.I will try and watch my future posts for errors :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">