• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consitency in noncompete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Does an employer have to be consistent with its policy and procedures when asking certain management level and above to sign noncomplete? I am in Schaumburg suburb of Chicago. am a Director level management for product team and I had to sign a noncompete. The vice president of sales did not sign a noncompete. I have no critical information that can do harm to the company the vice president has customer list (good customers and bad customers), Price information customer specific with discounts, rebates etc. Customer files, Price margin information, Business strategy information. The company terminated me and is fighting me on letting me off the noncompete but the vice president quit and went to work with a direct competitor, no action is being taken. Does the company have to be consistent in its noncompete policy to have certain level management sign? Can the company pick and choose who they have sign noncompete and how they enforce it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, they can pick and choose, so long as that picking and choosing isn't based on discrimination against a protected characteristic. You will want to have the non-compete looked at by a local employment law attorney to tell you if it is enforceable. Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">