• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contact from former neighbor, want to stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Noneedtoknow

What is the name of your state?
Ohio

This is going to be long.

My girlfriend was living in Ohio and a bunch of strange things started happening with the neighbor. First, my girlfriend was working in her yard and heard someone yelled " Stay away from my husband, Whore" it sounded like it came from the neighbor's house and was directed at her. I told her she was crazy and the person was probably yelling at someone on the phone.

About a week later my GF drove by her neighbor's house and as she passed the neighbor and her son bent over and "moonee" my girlfriend (with clothes on) Again, I thought she was overacting and saw something that didn't happen.

Also, During this time period my girlfriend notices that a high strength spotlight is being shined directly into her living room window from the neighbor's house. It lasted about a week then was gone

Well, fast forward about 3 month and my girlfriend has a note in her mailbox. It's a rambling 2 page letter about how my girlfriend is trying to steal her husband (my girlfriend never saw the husband once while she lived there) and she knows what my GF is "up to". It wasn't physically threatening, but got very very close.

My GF is naturally freaked out and calls the cops. They come look at the letter and say basically it's not physically threatening so they can't arrest her, but they will talk to her. They tell her to have no contact with my girlfriend and that's that.

So that night we come to find out that for the past 6-8 months, this woman has been contacting my GF's landlord and saying my girlfriend is trying to steal her husband and she is a bad person..etc etc. The landlord tells the neighbor to knock it off. They also tell my GF that that light was in fact purposefully shined into her house, the landlord had to call the police and they forced the neighbor to take it down. The neighbors NEVER told my girlfriend about any of this. The landlord also finds out that this has happened before with the neighbor, in a different town, and they were forced to move because of it.

It turns out that the neighbor also sent crazy letters to her son's teacher and kids (yes kids) for over a year harassing her. We still can't figure out why nothing was reported.

My girlfriend decides she is going to move in with me out-of-state. She was still upset about the whole thing and before she left sent the neighbor a letter telling her she need psychological help and would never want her husband and blah blah blah.

Fast forward 6 months till last week. My girlfriend gets a letter in the mail, It's super creepy....It's a paper heart with a girl on the front and some other designs on the back saying "Miss You". There is no return address, but we compare the writing and it's from her former neighbor.

Mind you, my GF moved to a different State. So this woman found her a address after 6 months and sent her this handmade card

So, if you are still reading, is there anything that can be done to get this woman to stop any contact with my girlfriend? Calling the police in Ohio? Restraining order?

Thanks for the time and sorry for the grammer.

quincy

I see no legal action that is worth taking if your girlfriend no longer lives in the same state.

I suggest she ignore any odd messages.

Noneedtoknow

I see no legal action that is worth taking if your girlfriend no longer lives in the same state.

I suggest she ignore any odd messages.
That's what I said to do. She is more mad that this woman has done these kind of things before, harassing and scaring other neighbors (all have been single women who moved in next door to her, except for the teacher). I'm more pissed at the landlord for never telling her about what was going on until she got the letter

quincy

That's what I said to do. She is more mad that this woman has done these kind of things before, harassing and scaring other neighbors (all have been single women who moved in next door to her, except for the teacher). I'm more pissed at the landlord for never telling her about what was going on until she got the letter
I think you provided your girlfriend with good advice.

If the former neighbor is ignored, eventually she should forget about your girlfriend and move on to harassing someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">