• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saleen556

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OREGON

I am planning on going back to court soon for a parenting time modification along with some financial matters. We were required to take a parenting class in the divorce decree. It was to be completed by a certain date and my coparent has not done the class. They were also supposed to take alcohol and anger managment classes which have not been done either. Are these worth bringing up or is it something that the court doesn't take seriously? If found in contempt what are the possible consequences? I assume a stern warning from the judge and another 6-12 months to take the classes.

LdiJ

I am planning on going back to court soon for a parenting time modification along with some financial matters. We were required to take a parenting class in the divorce decree. It was to be completed by a certain date and my coparent has not done the class. They were also supposed to take alcohol and anger managment classes which have not been done either. Are these worth bringing up or is it something that the court doesn't take seriously? If found in contempt what are the possible consequences? I assume a stern warning from the judge and another 6-12 months to take the classes.
Both of those are things that courts DO take seriously, so yes, you should file a show cause for contempt if the other parent was ordered to do so, and has not.

Just Blue

Well. In my state of Massachusetts it would be taken very seriously. But that is my state. Who knows what OR. considers? Perhaps I will look up a advertisement to get a BS answer for you.:rolleyes:

saleen556

Well. In my state of Massachusetts it would be taken very seriously. But that is my state. Who knows what OR. considers? Perhaps I will look up a advertisement to get a BS answer for you.:rolleyes:
LOL. I understand that was an advertisement. However it's not far from the truth. There are alot of hoops to jump through to get custody. I can't imagine how difficult it would be not being married and only together for a couple years. I have learned quite a bit from this site. Maybe i just had a bad case of luck?? Thanks for the info in your state :)

Just Blue

LOL. I understand that was an advertisement. However it's not far from the truth. There are alot of hoops to jump through to get custody. I can't imagine how difficult it would be not being married and only together for a couple years. I have learned quite a bit from this site. Maybe i just had a bad case of luck?? Thanks for the info in your state :)
You are Welcome...If your custody order is moved to Mass, my advice will help.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">