• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contention of assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ofcsjs

Florida

My father passed away last year in Florida and my mother is deemed the surviving spouse by Florida law even though she lives in NY and they were legally separated in NY. In a court hearing today it was stated that a bank account with some money in it where I am named as beneficiary is being contested by my mother and she is asking for 30% of it to pay outstanding bills. She received my fathers life insurance, pension, etc but this account is named to me. The judge asked if I took exception to the claim and I said yes and he stated anew hearing would need to take place. Does she have any right to money named to me? Sorry for the long question. Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">