• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract not paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TWil

I'm currently working for a software development company for which I have a contract outlining the dates of pay (2nd/16th). These payments are often many weeks late, leaving me to wonder what happens when I can't pay my mortgage because of this. What can I do to influence my employer to uphold the terms of the contract? (they have the $, it's accounting dept. red tape, and I'm not looking for trouble, just reasonably prompt pmt.)

Thanks!

A

Attorney_Replogle

I really don't see that there is a lot that you can do without ruffling somebody's feathers. You could write a letter to the company's inside counsel (attorneys) about the problem. Or, you could contact your state's Department of Labor. In California it is that state department that handles compliance/complaint issues about companies failure to pay employees wages. Or, if your contract of employment says that you can, you can start to charge late fees/interest on the late payments plus all the back payments. Or, you can have a private employment (labor) law attorney near you write a letter to the company on your behalf. The letter will not threaten a lawsuit, since you want to keep things friendly. Rather, it will state that the payments have to be on time. From here on out, all late payments will be charged a late fee/interest of X dollars/percent. You can find a labor law attorney near you at attorneypages.com.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">