• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Damaged House - Can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gphoya3000

Hello. I am having windows replaced in my house and the contractors took out some windows without putting in storm windows as replacements leaving a big open hole in my kitchen. I live in Chicago, and this resulted in my kitchen pipe freezing and bursting spraying water over my entire first floor. This led to about an inch of water on my main floor (same floor as kitchen). All the rooms of which are wood floored. i am sure that this will cause warping of my wood because the water has gotten underneath and, in fact, has gone into my basement flooding that as well (an inch or so of water). The floor is brand new and cost $15000 last year in addition - a new rug is soaked along with furniture. We have a contract and everything; however, the promise to place storm windows after removal of other windows was promised verbally. Is there any way I can get damages from this company? This is a lot of damage and was caused solely by the elements being allowed to come into the house - in fact there is lots of snow in my kitchen as well. Thanks

W

Wgoodrich

If I were you I would contact an attorney asap. Your damages may end up much less than what it sounds like, but it also may end up much more than you can guess. You need to do some proper verification of facts and effects of this problem. I would contact an attorney before I did anything, do it quickly because you must react limiting the damages as much as possible as a requirement to you. Let that attorney guide you in the proper documentations and procedures. You losses may be minor but they may also be formidable. Protect youself, you need legal guidance.

Wg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">